Moving stuff from old G4 to new 12inch PowerBook

pensfan

Registered
I bought my wife a new 12-inch PowerBook today and we're debating how to move her applications, documents, photos, etc. from one to the other. The old computer is a G4 450 with 512 MB. I plan to initialize the hard drive on that and sell it once we've made the transition to the PB full-time.
Someone suggested Carbon Copy Cloner to me, but her old G4 tower doesnt have a SuperDrive and so we'd lose iDVD that way.
What is the safest/simplest way to get all her "stuff" from one to the other?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin
(who is "stuck" with a G3 500 MHz iMac with 1GB of RAM that I desperately want to turn into a 17-inch PB!)

Use an Ethernet Crossover cable and File Sharing. The Help menu will explain on each machine. Simple to do in OS X.
I wouldn't transfer the applications, install fresh. Just copy over the other stuff.

Are you asking specifically about the proper hardware configuration for transferring, or are you looking for a good piece of software to bundle things up in one place and unbundle them in another?

If you have a firewire cable, you can boot one of these machines into "Target Disk Mode". If you haven't done this before, it goes like this:

* Hold down the "T" as the machine boots.

* You'll see the biohazard-like firewire symbol appear on the screen, moving around occasionally as a screensaver would.

* This machine is now a dumb external firewire drive.

It's a pretty fast way to transfer.

try backup. Applications may be easier to reinstall from cds, but if it is documents and preferences, just use back up. I think you can restore everything onto a new computer.

Back