Moving to Apple Mail

Woodgie2

rack mounted
OK, so here's my dilemma. I've been using Microsoft eMail clients for forever. At first Outlook Express under Mac OS 7, 8 and 9 and for about 4 years now, Entourage. I really, really want to move to Apple Mail, there are only 2 things that make me hesitate.

Firstly, I have a truely HUGE amount of eMail to move across. I mean like over 3GB, I kid you not (I know this is tempting fate...). Yes, I know, I'll have to do a seriously massive amount of archiving & deleting and general housekeeping before I go over! So my first question would be: How? Should I drag the folder structure to folders on the hard drive and import them all as MBOXs? is there a tool that'll handle it for me nicely? I have some pretty enormous attachments.

The other thing is the sheer number of eMail addresses I have, I have a domain name and therefore have about 40 eMail 'accounts' that I use regularly. Really they're just email1@mydomain.co.uk and email2@mydomain.co.uk that are accessed by connecting to the POP3 server as email1+username and email2+username. With me so far? Good! Now in Entourage, everything comes into a single Inbox and can be dealt with there (or have rules applied to it) but from what I see, Apple Mail has seperate inboxes and outboxes for each single account. This would make the interface somewhat cluttered for me, is this really how things are? Or am I misreading things?

OK, I meant 3 questions :)
Further to the multiple accounts part of the last question. In Entourage I can "Allow Online Access (show account in folder list)" for an account. This means that I can have my main account eMail (which shows every message sent to @mydomain.co.uk) in a sudoIMAP kind of way. I can then drag and drop the message to the appropriate folder if it was a lesser used address which doesn't have it's own specific account set up.

Then again, there's the multiple identities I use to seperate business accounts from home accounts... Please don't tell me that it's better I stay with Entourage!

I hope to hell that this makes sense. It does to me, but then again, I'm the one doing it...

Thanks.

William

Back