moving to Panther

s3raphim

Registered
I'm about to make the jump to Panther, but I have a few questions first. Will the new developments with X11 render my Apple X11 and Fink stuff unecessary? Will the Panther install screw up the straight Unix stuff I have on the machine? (please say no?) Or will it simply install over 10.2.8? This is a really important question obviously, please let me know asap.

Thanks.

(ps - yes I know Panther has been out for a while)

Well I might not be too much help because I'm pretty new to using X11, but I run Panther and X11 (occasionaly) and Fink works. I'm not sure whether Panther would overwrite these things but I don't think it would. I think the worst case scenario is you would have a few outdated useless files that Fink used to own somewhere in your Hard Drive, and may have to reinstall fink. Panther is a great improvement, but make sure you keep up to date in Software Install cause there is still glitches every now and then. Reading over your question now, I'm not sure if I answered it correctly. If you are talking about X Window Applications then I don't know. Hope this helps.

That does help, but specifically, does Panther have Apple's X11 built in? Or should I leave that on my system?

To get the full benefits of Panther, ARCHIVE your user folder, make sure you have back up files of your UNIX stuff, wipe the drive and begin with a fresh install, otherwise, some "files" hang around and will cause problems. I read this somewhere...maybe not here, but somewhere on the internet. The X11 that comes with Panther is REALLY fast. I even installed OpenOffice and am very pleased. Fink will still work.

I borrowed my buddies PowerBook G4, to dump my large user folder on the HD, installed Panther on my G3, and copied all the files back that I needed, then I "secure deleted" my user folder from his HD (took 2.5 hours!). I've been very happy with the install, except that if the screensaver activates on its own, I can't eject or insert a CD, I have to restart. The latest great iCal 1.5.2 crashes every time when I place it in "Day" view, type something in the "Info Window", and try to scroll the calendar window with my scroll wheel or sliders.

There is a newer X11 in 10.3's cd 4.

I think a clean install is probably a safer alternative than upgrade. Which unix programs have you installed?

I'm running fink and fink commander, aterm, scite, scintilla (g++ frontends), Open Office, abiword, ethereal, and whole bunch of other miscellany. This should all be stuff I can reinstall I guess.

Word of Warning - If you do clean install dont use the Unix filesystem option, go with HFS, some apps just dont work properly with it, most notably Keynote, Lotus Notes and OS 9.

Theres probably others.. sorry if this is a bit off topic

That's interesting.... Has anyone else heard of anything other than Classic apps not working with the UNIX file system?

Thanks for the warning

I believe that if you plan to install OS X without Classic, then you can use UFS since it would be strictly a Unix machine. Otherwise, you must use HFS+.

Back