Moving to San Francisco!!

iMan

?¿?
Well, almost, marin county.. ;)
I know that there's some people from that area around on this forum so I thought, why not ask these guys what's going on over in the SF area.
I'm moving mid december from Italy to SF (I'm swedish by the way, lived in italy for 3-4 years)
What I wanted to ask is how the market looks, I know it's not good, but if I would like to work with macs. I'd like to get an mac tech degree, look into web design. Any info on where to look for work, school, corses etc.

Greatful for any help :)

Viktor

My partner moved here (SF) 22 years ago from Chicago. (I'm a local.) He's never really left the city itself, except that he now works in San Rafael.

He's quite funny about the geography of the San Francisco Bay Area. The way he tells it, it is as if you are looking at an old map of the earth in the time of Columbus.

There is the city of San Francisco with all of its various neighborhoods. Each neighborhood has little drawing that illustrate the types of people you'd expect to find.

... Then there is the dark black Neitherworld that lies outside the city. This is something like the Black Forest. It is a place full of mystery, evil and the unknown. It is certainly a place that no "civilized person" would dare tread. (No offense Ed. This's is Jeff's POV, not mine... ;))

The thing about people who do not live in San Francisco is that they fail to understand what the locals can see "so clearly". The Bay Area is not "almost" San Francisco... It is not even close.

...and unless you want to put yourself in real danger, don't dare call it "Frisco".

So I'm not that hard core about it... I grew up in the 'burbs on the East Bay, so I've seen it from both sides. To me the city is neat because it has so much packed so close. You walk 1-2 blocks and you suddenly find yourself in a completely different environment... The subburbs vary depending on the age. Some of the older Pensula subburs are quite quaint and very exclusive. Some of the others are basic track homes and even gated communities.... Marin... well that's like the country. You wouldn't be surprised to see folks on horseback and hear roosters crowing.

This is already too long, and I have not even touched on some of your real questions. The one sad thing to note is that the Bay Aread is getting incredibally expen$ive and that is pushing most the poor and bohemian folks out. The net result is that this is not as diverse of a place as it was just a few years... Instead it is now more like New York. It is kept alive by the constant influx of new folks, with new ideas, and bright outlooks.

I remember the bumper stickers from the late 70's that read "If you love California, Leave It!"... Instead I say "Welcome!"

Thanks Tommy,
I'm looking forward to living in the SF area, the reason I'm going to be in marin county is that my wife is from there and we'll be starting out at her parents house. We met here in italy and now we've decided to move to the states. Our plan is to move in to Fris... eeehhh.. the city ;)
I've always lived in cities and like to have every thing close at hand. I'm a city person.
I love San Francisco, feels closer to home, more european, if you know what i mean.

:)
Viktor

Back