Moving up...

BAFlib

Registered
I need some advice...have just ordered a new PowerBook G4 to replace my husband's Power Mac 6500/300. How do we get all of his files (mostly text) off the old Mac and onto the new one using the quickest, easiest, and cheapest method?

If I was doing it I'd just grab a cd writer and replace the cdrom in the 6500 with the cd writer and write all the files to a cd.
You can also transfer the files by ethernet and also by firewire.
You would have to buy a firewire pci card for the firewire transfer.

And if the total size of the files is not too large you could transfer them to your new computer using email attachments.

Floppy disks. A USB floppy disk drive will be required for the PowerBook.

FTP [File Transfer Protocol]. Turn ON 'System Preferences' 'Sharing' utility's 'Services' tab's 'FTP Access' feature. Use any System 9 or earlier FTP application(s).

AOL IM [Instant Messenger]. Download v. 4.3 for System 9 or earlier, and the latest version for MacOS X. Via v. 4.3's 'People, Transfer Files, Send File to Buddy...' or 'People, Transfer Files, Send Folder to Buddy...' menu items - send the appropriate data. Set up two (free) IM accounts, just in case.

all i've ever done is put all the files i want to transfer in the same folder, turn filesharing on and share the folder, then connect with the other computer, mounting the folder on the desktop and copy every thing over. no need to buy anything except a e-net cable if you don't have one already. and that was transferring files from my 8600 running 9.2.2 to my g4 running 10.4.6.

Back