Mozilla 0.9.9

Sogni

*gone*
For those of you who have no problems with Mozilla or Netscape... :p

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9472&db=macosx

I just downloaded the 0.9.9 version (OSX) some hours ago and been using it non-stop since.
What problems I had with the previous version (a few irks like it would forget it's window size, some crashes, etc.) seem to all be gone. Seems to even have a sligh speed increase as well.

I'm very happy with this version! Finally! A 'Netscape' browser that I actually like using! That's a first! :)

Also it has a Popup Killer built in! SWEET! :D

I may be speaking prematurely - but I may never use Internet Exploder again (aside from Website testing and whatnot).

I love Mozilla! :)

I was plesantly surprised to find that the scrolling is a little bit faster in this release than the nightly build I had downloaded less than a week ago. Maybe it's just my mind but it does seem faster. Still kinda depressing to look at, even with the best themes. I want an aqua look. Also, not necessarly a fault in Moz, but Omni has spell checking within forms like this which is better.

Still, this beats IE by far and competes with Omni (in my humble opinion) for first. Gotta add the plug for chimera tho :) that's going to rule

ok, i just want to be sure that anyone who uses mozilla understands that it is a developmental browser that directly aids in the building of future versions of netscape and now aol's browsers. if you do not mind helping them out, then try it.

Hey ED.

Please SHUT UP! I dont care if they kill 100 puppys a day for makin it or they support OsamaBinLaden. It works for me and thats all I need!:eek: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

The 0.9.9 release is very good. I'm amazed at how stable it is compared with IE 5.1 and OW 4.1. Mozilla rarely crashes on me, whereas IE 5.1 and OW 4.1 crash very frequently.

The areas I'd like to see the Mac developers concentrate on before the 1.0 release are:

1) Improved application speed. The rendering of pages is lightning fast, but the applications responsiveness isn't . Menu scrolling, typing in text fields, page scrolling, etc could all stand to be improved.

2) Improve the "Classic" skin to be more Aqua compliant. Get rid of the icons and replace them with something that fits within the Aqua scheme.

That's about it. Mozilla has been my everyday browser now since the 0.9.8 release. At the moment, it is the most stable, most complete, fastest, and most compliant web browser available for OS X.

As for Ed's continued complaints about the efforts of Mozilla helping Netscape/AOL. Consider this...

Mac IE has been stuck at version 5 for almost 3 years now. Microsoft's OS X effort was nothing more than a carbonization of the existing IE client with no new features. Microsoft clearly isn't all too interested in keeping pace with their Mac browser. And why should they? With OS X, IE is the only browser that ships with the OS.

But consider the new playing field. As of this summer, Apple is no longer obligated by the '97 browser agreement to make IE the default Mac browser. With Mozilla complete, Apple will have serious leveraging power over Microsoft to get them to put more resources in to developing Mac IE. Everybody wins.

You see, competition is a good thing.

Actually - I just downloaded Mozilla for use at home - I *hate* netscape - to me it's turned into horrible buggy bloatware, but I *love* Mozilla... Some suggestions though:

1) Yes, interface speed needs to be incredibly increased - even at the cost of not being able to customize the skin - I spend MUCH more time right clicking, menu switching, going from email to email than I actually spend rendering pages. Once a page is rendered - it's done, and I can read it at leasure.

2) Tabbed browser windows are great :) Please, however, make a simple - keyboard+leftclick shortcut for opening in tabs... say shft/ctrl click. Since I rarely use the back button (I open *everything* in a new window) I would find this a great timesaver.

3) Where's the popup killer? I can't find it.

Brian.

I do see Ed's point of view and I actually do agree with him (as I type this using Mozilla :D ).

But my #1 mission since I bought my Mac was to get away from all Gates software as soon as possible!

I've used Apple's Mail app since day one (but I tried using Eudora for a while until I finally decided that the Apple version was a totally different version than the Windows version I was used to - Apple's Mail App I feel is more like Eudora's Windows version! :D ), so I haven't even touched MS's Outlook Express on the Mac (and it's been ages on the PC).

I've tried just about all other web browsers and they where just not up to par as far as I was concerned - and neither was Mozilla before 0.9.8 so I was using IE and was NOT happy about it!

Sure I don't like AOHELL, and I am not happy they aquired Netscape (and I wish Mozilla was not part of Netscape)... I am using an Evil to get rid of a greater Evil... and some day I will ditch Netscape/Mozilla once another browser is able to render and play nice.

Until then - I'm using Mozilla! :)

Mozilla quits when I want to downoad! I'M using 0.9.9 Had the same poblem with 0.9.8!

Anyone knows how to fix this???:confused: :confused: :confused: :(

Try deleting the application, trashing the preferences (in both the User>Library folder and the User>Library>Application Support> folder.

Redownload, reinstall the application and see if that helps...

I found out something cool with the mozilla app. For all the people who got a scroll wheel go to the bottom of a web page and scroll up as fast as you can and see whats happenes to the scroll bar when it goes up fast.;)

could be that my computer is 266mhz slow but I don't see anything different. Still takes time to draw every stage it would up the page. This could be due to the fact that I never figured out how to customize it (its a logitech wireless optical that worked when I pluged it in so I never twidled with the cd that came with)

What kind of mouse do you use and what does it do?

I got a wireless intel mouse. And what happened is while the scroll bar is going up fast like 2 to 3 lines suddenly appear under the scrool bar so when u scrool up fast it looks cool. Or is it just my comp? imac 400mhz

I'd love to use Mozilla or Netscape, but I'm forced to use IE because it's the only Mac OS X browser to support Java. Any ideas why?

WOW! This latest build of Mozilla is SWEEEET! Very Smooth and FAST on my 500MHz G3. These open source guys are really getting their act together on this one. I look forward to the 1.0 release coming near the end of the month.

Does it have banner blocking (not just the wide and thin ones... there's other ones that are more square that OmniWeb blocks). Can it emulate other browsers so that it can get around stupid browser blocking? Can it automatically check for updates and download new ones (INCLUDING latest beta builds -- or in OmniGroup's case, sneaky peek builds)? Does it have a built in source editor/links viewer? Can it keep JavaScript and applets disabled until you specifically click to invoke them? Does it antialias the text on the website? Can it block ads that have a certain string in the URL to them, or better yet, can it block ads that are not from the site that loads them?

And last but not least, is Mozilla NOT ugly?

Until Mozilla has ** ALL ** of these features, I'm ** NOT ** switching from OmniWeb.

Why is it that when i open mozilla and try to extended it to reach all corners of my screen so i can have a full screen web browser i cant because it stops a lil b4 the bottom of the screen. Why does it do that?

Originally posted by simX
Does it have banner blocking (not just the wide and thin ones... there's other ones that are more square that OmniWeb blocks).

After a fashion -- you can block all images
from, say, doubleclick.com easily enough,
and you can limit animation looping.

Can it emulate other browsers so that it can get around stupid browser blocking?

Yes, pretty easily: http://uabar.mozdev.org/

Can it automatically check for updates and download new ones (INCLUDING latest beta builds -- or in OmniGroup's case, sneaky peek builds)?

Nightly builds are always in the same place, so it's a trivial AppleScript (or shell script) to keep them synced as often as you wish (see attachment.) I personally build my own via CVS 2 or 3 times a week, but I'm funny that way.

Does it have a built in source editor/links viewer?
Yes, and a really nice DOM inspector, Javascript Debugger, and links bar.
Does it antialias the text on the website?
RealSoonNow (not in time for 1.0, but not far off either: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121540)

Can it block ads that have a certain string in the URL to them, or better yet, can it block ads that are not from the site that loads them?
Yes and yes.

And last but not least, is Mozilla NOT ugly?
No uglier than IE (using the Classic theme), IMO, and visibly improving steadily.

Attachments

• mozgrabapplescript.txt
    456 bytes · Views: 12
Back