MP3 trouble.

MissPiper

Registered
I am having a bit of a problem that I thought someone might be able to help me.

I got a Alcatel music mobile (OT-E801) for christmas (yes early :D) but it is actually only compatible with windows :( and not my mac. Is there any sort of converter i can use to make it compatible? i am grasping a little but I don't want to have to take it back cause I like it.

Does anyone know anything that might help me? oh and i have OSX 10.2.8

Thank you!

Seeing as how you are running 10.2, Boot Camp is not likely an option for you (the newer intel-based machines only).

Boot Camp is a piece of software that allows the Intel-based Macintosh computers (released during the beginning of 2006) to install Windows, essentially allowing you to have two bootup options: Mac OS X and Windows.

Macintosh computers released before 2006 have the PowerPC processors in them, which are a completely different processor architecture than the Intel ones (each of the CPUs are designed differently). These computers can't run Windows natively so they would have to use software that "emulates" a PC computer with an Intel chip. While this would allow you to run Windows within that emulated environment, it would be slower than running on an actual Windows PC because the software has to perform the actions of the processor in a normal PC. Virtual PC is an example of a

Even though you can use Boot Camp on the Intel Macs to boot into Windows, most Mac users with these new Intel Macs prefer to use a product called Parallels Desktop that does the same thing as the emulators you'll find on the PowerPC Mac platform. However, since the Intel Macs do have an Intel chip in them just like the Windows PCs do, there's no emulation involved. The software is basically a container for the operating system and uses the hardware CPU in the Mac to process the data. So you get near-native speeds when running Parallels Desktop, and you don't have to leave your Mac OS X environment to use Windows (as you would have to do with Boot Camp).

Hope this clarifies things in regards to the differences between PowerPC and Intel Macs.

As for your player, you should be able to mount it on the Finder desktop when it's plugged in and manually put music in it. It's not the most efficient option, but it works. If you need to have the Windows software, then you can use an emulator like Virtual PC to run Windows and then install the software. Then you can sync it that way. This is also inefficient, but it's a better option if you need to have the software running for the device to be used.

Back