mpeg4 video doesn't play

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
ok, my hardware is as stated in my sig. software is all uptodate. the problem happens in both itunes and quicktime player, and with video i download from itms, rip with handbrake (using the ipod preset), or converted from elgato's eyetv2 (using the export to ipod video recommended setting). the problem is thus. i start to play the video, and at some random point, it starts to studder, the video stops, but the sound then keeps going just fine. and the playhead doesn't move. i hit pause, and the sound stops. i hit play and it picks right up where it stopped with the audio, but still only in audio. i close the window, reopen the file, and it still will only play the audio. the only way to get it to play both is to quit and restart the app i'm playing it in (itunes or qt player). when it starts to studder, the cpu goes to 100%, but once the video stops and the audio keeps going, it goes back to 30-40%. durning the play back, i watch the activity monitor, and there are no other apps but the playback app hogging the cpu. and this only started recently, in the last 2 or 3 weeks. it happens to new videos, as well as to videos i've had for ever, even ones that i've played without any issues many a time before. and its completely random as to when in the video it startes doing it, and if it even does it at all. its starting to do it alot more often, and really bugs me now. any ideas?

I think I've had a similar thing happening today in iTunes (on a highly different machine, the MacBook). Maybe it was a recent Quicktime or iTunes update? I'd use VLC for the time being, which might not work with DRM'd media, of course.

Back