MS Office Key Lost

mwilkie40

Registered
I purchased Office Student and Teacher with my IMac about 6 months ago and then purchased a new iBook last week. I have the CD (Office) but have no clue where the product keys are for the two other installs I have remaining on the CD. What's my best course of action here? Should I just pop in the CD and hope I get it to install or should I call Microsoft? Apple maybe? Thanks for the help

Although you bought it from Apple, it's probably Microsoft's call. The CD key _should_ be somewhere on the CD's sleeve or the documentation that came with the license.

Is the key embedded on the CD itself somewhere? I seem to have misplaced the sleeve it came with. I may have even thrown it away. If the key is embedded on the CD how would I look for it? Sorry I am still such a newbie.

Nope, I'm pretty sure form my old student edition that its on the case, sorry. You might be able to get it off Microsoft with a proof of purchase though, or maybe by exchanging the disk.

If you have office installed, just click, for example, Word, click Word -> About Word -> Support.
Support numbers are there.

Also, take note of your product ID.

I know how to get my own product ID that is on my IMac. I am wondering if there's a way to pull the other keys of the two remaining licenses I have yet to use off the CD.

No, because they're not stored on the CD anywhere.

Your best bet is to contact Microsoft and inquire about retrieving or obtaining a new license key.

Now one thing that might help you, is why don't you just copy the application form the existing computer over the the new computer. This would work with Office X with the caveat that it will check to make sure that there is not a copy with the same key running on the same subnet. I assume that all they have done is upped the number of concurrent installs to 3 (according to your info, I haven't needed a newer office so I have not looked into it.)

The point is that Microsoft's license manger enforces the limit a runtime so you should just be able to copy it while you are in compliance. [Could be wrong though it is worth a try.]

Back