MSN Messenger: Ports?

FlashMac

Registered
Hi

I can't seem to use my Messenger from within my office network, but it works on PCs. I have been assured that no ports are deliberately blocked, and we don't use a Proxy server.

However a friend on a non-tech forum said:

"I had this exact issue in halls in my first year of uni. All I can tell you (and this may not be fact) is that the Mac MSN connects through a different port to the Windows one, and my uni admins had that port (and others, like torrent ports) blocked."

And another guy:

"Yeah, I had the same think when I rented a room in halls last summer holiday. No torrents or MSN, and ports generally behaving oddly. Some worked, like iTunes shared music, some didn't. A couple of people with PCs got round it somehow, so I reckon it must be possible, but I couldn't work it out on my Mac."

Are they right? If so, does anyone know of any settings or ways to get around this? PCs seem to go through port 1080, but trying this with manual settings and various proxy options doesn't work. iChat doesn't seem to connect either.

I am running the latest version FROM Mactopia. FROM, not of, sorry.

I don't remember offhand which ports it uses, but one solution that works in cases like that is using Adium, and then changing the port it uses to e.g. 80.
But use at your own risk (consequences at network usage ...).
I know a few people at work who used that way and got it working.

Ah many thanks Giaguara, that works (well, I haven't chatted to anyone yet, but I've signed in and can see my buddy list).

Back