multihome and routing?

spike

sometimes stupid
Hi,

I was wondering if I can multi-home my NIC and route between the networks?

I know I could route between *two* NICs using BrickHouse to set it up, and I know I can set up multi-homing using the Network prefs.

But I dont know how to route between two networks on one interface.

Why would you want to do this I hear you cry?!
Well I would get another NIC but I have a PowerBook, and the other Mac I have is an iMac. And I have a cable modem which connects via Ethernet. And I want both Macs using the internet at the same time. I have a hub but the cable modem and dhcp server knows to only dish out one IP at a time. :)

I am told multi homing isnt a great idea as you get lots of collisions, but I guess it may be OK for me. I may end up getting a hardware router, but if I dont have to spend cash I wont.

So can it be done?

thanks, spike.

P.S. Whats the difference between IP Aliases and multihoming?

Hi,

thanks for the help.

But that didnt seem to explain how to do what I want. It seemed only to be about IP Aliasing, and the link in the thread didnt work.

So how do I do the routing and NAT to share an internet connection with only on NIC?

Thanks.

spike.

cool, thanks for your help.

I have after due consideration decided to go for a hardware router.

There is a thread here:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/aliasing.html

Which is of some help.

I might try to get something working in software anyway just for the hell of it. I tried Vicom Soft router, but for some crazy reason that wont work even though it claims to do multihoming. ho-hum.

thanks, spike.

Back