Multiple Docks

CrazyAlex

Registered
Hi!

I'm using my Mac for very different things, so I'm looking for a way to have very different docks (I love the dock!!!). The best would be to have a little menu (or alias in the dock) to change the applications that are in. Does anyone know a solution to have multiple docks and a switch.

Or anyone knowing the folder/file where those aliases appearing in the dock are stored?

AK

I was trying to do basically the same thing, with NO luck. I tried starting a second Dock, no luck. I tried to find the Dock calls, no luck. I came up with a Dock adaptation scheme i posted in another forum, but no one replied to tell me what they thought or whether the adaptation was even possible.

I hereby state that I've not done this, nor have I checked some of the ideas stated in this post for validity. They're just ideas off the top of my head from reading the post above.

If you're serious enough about doing this (I'm not... I'm fine with my dock the way it is), then I'd suggest writing an app/script that will do the following:

1) copy your com.apple.dock.plist file (in ~/Library/Preferences) to a backup location (of your choosing) and create another instance of the file for the Dock to use

2) force the Dock to quit and restart (I think it always restarts anyway, but...) so that it will use the new copy of your prefs file, which you may now modify as desired (by hand or simply by adding/removing items as usual)

3) allow switching between ...dock.plist files stored in that particular hiding place of your choosing -- so that you can have multiple docks (as was desired) that can be "launched" at will

Of course, if you do this, and it works (or doesn't) I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. =)

-jab

Originally posted by jamescat
I hereby state that I've not done this, nor have I checked some of the ideas stated in this post for validity. They're just ideas off the top of my head from reading the post above.

If you're serious enough about doing this (I'm not... I'm fine with my dock the way it is), then I'd suggest writing an app/script that will do the following:

1) copy your com.apple.dock.plist file (in ~/Library/Preferences) to a backup location (of your choosing) and create another instance of the file for the Dock to use

2) force the Dock to quit and restart (I think it always restarts anyway, but...) so that it will use the new copy of your prefs file, which you may now modify as desired (by hand or simply by adding/removing items as usual)

3) allow switching between ...dock.plist files stored in that particular hiding place of your choosing -- so that you can have multiple docks (as was desired) that can be "launched" at will

Of course, if you do this, and it works (or doesn't) I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. =)

-jab

Am I missing something here? none of what you said will do anything to being able to create more than one Dock. In fact, besides as a safety precaution for someone looking to fiddle with the options in the plist file, your suggestion as is has no merit in this discussion. Did you intend something else? Am I truly missing something?

You're indeed missing something :)
This allows you to have multiple Dock configurations and to switch between them. One for work, one for gaming, one for home. Nice idea. I chek if it works later.
However, it's not the solution to the question of this thread.

Hi Jamescat!

Nothing missing. What you mentioned is exactly what I wanted to do. I wrote some applescripts, put them in one folder and put this folder to the dock. It works... most of the time ;)

Thank You.

If anyone is interested in the scripts, just post here...

Hi Jamescat!

Nothing missing. What you mentioned is exactly what I wanted to do. I wrote some applescripts, put them in one folder and put this folder to the dock. It works... most of the time ;)

Thank You.

If anyone is interested in the scripts, just post here...

Congratulations, CrazyAlex!

I'm glad my suggestions worked for you. I may not use them myself (like I said, I've got about as much dock as I want) but I'd be really interested in seeing your scripts to see how well it really does work. If you'd share 'em I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

As for you plaidpjs, I guess you thought he was asking about running multiple instances at the same time -- as you yourself were. And, so you're absolutely right that my thoughts would have been totally useless there.

I don't have a clue how that might be done other than by some VERY SERIOUS hacking of the actual Dock application, possibly even requiring Apple insider-type info. But... I'd also be very interested in seeing that, if you ever find someone who manages to do it. =) That'd be absolutely cool to see! (Even if a bit crowded on my 12-inch screen -- and thereby useless to me -- I'd still love to see it. ;)

-jab

Back