Multiple email accounts (folders) in Mail

ncarraway

Registered
Is there anyway to separate multiple email accounts in Mail, so that all the incoming mail goes to the appropriate inbox? I think there was a way to do this on older versions of Mail through the Preferences->accounts page, but in the new version I can't seem to find any such setting.

but there still is an Accounts section in Preferences. You just need to go to Mail > Preferences, then choose Accounts tab, then click the "+" button at the bottom-left to add a new account.

I can add the new account, but then the inbox is receiving messages from both email accounts (i.e. both my IMAP account and my wife's POP account). Isn't there a way to segregate the entire accounts, similar to Thunderbird?

I'd prefer to use thunderbird, actually, but certain Apple programs (like iPhoto) don't let you use thunderbird for emailing pictures.

Mail does differentiate using two methods. First you can sort by email account in the common inbox. Also if you click the arrow next to the inbox then it breaks apart the inbox by email account.

Does this help?

Use Rules. Make a new mailbox for the account, then use a rule to direct to that mailbox.

Hi Showngo, that does help, thank you. Unfortunately you can only get mail for every account! (unless you deactivate an account). Also, Mail for some reason is not showing a significant portion of my old and new IMAP mail in my inbox. Any idea what gives? If I use Thunderbird, it shows all my mail fine. Also, it seem to stop showing my main in my inbox if its older than from Sep 7, 2006. Of course, its not picking up some NEW mail, either. Very strange.

I don't know about thunderbird, but I can set iPhoto to use Eudora.

**checks method

iphoto preferences > general > e-mail photos using (select application)

thunderbird should be one of the choices.

my bad - thunderbird isn't among the chosen few.
I seem to remember getting eudora to work in an earlier iphoto by going into the contents of the app folder. I'm trying to find the evidence of the process.

Back