Multiple monitor support

pfft. that leads to inconsistency, and a lack of things like Clock, menu extras, global menus (stuff in the apple menu) etc. the day Apple start taking interface hints from MS or the *NIX world, i'll marry a pig.

Viro said:
I don't get that. How does using the other monitor as secondary remove the need for a menubar? That's precisely what I'm doing right now and I need the menubar on the secondary monitor.

Right, it's obviously broken as it stands for a large number of use-cases.
Controlling an application on one display from menus on another is just unnatural. Like someone else said, if the menus were *inside* the application (where they belong anyway), then this is a non-issue.

So far there seems to be no solution

Viro said:
I wish Apple would make the menubar of apps appear on the the same monitor where the application window is displayed. As it is, if I have an application window on the secondary monitor, the menubar still appears on the first monitor. Highly annoying. Practically defeats the purpose of a second monitor.
This isn't Windows where all application elements are in a single window. On the Mac you can have many windows for a single application. Which one of those would be the basis for deciding which monitor to use?

It'd be easier to just start learning the key-commands for things and wean yourself of the mouse all together.

TommyWillB said:
This isn't Windows where all application elements are in a single window. On the Mac you can have many windows for a single application. Which one of those would be the basis for deciding which monitor to use?

It'd be easier to just start learning the key-commands for things and wean yourself of the mouse all together.

I haven't been too bothered by this issue for the last month or so since I don't have access to a secondary monitor anymore :).

Nevertheless, I still think that some applications that do not have multiple windows should have menu bars at the top of the active monitor. Even with multiple windows, you should be able to just click on the icon in the dock, and say "Move to monitor 2" or something to that effect.

I've reversed my thoughts since I last posted here.

I feel that from a muscle-memory point of view, having the menubar static is important, ergonomically.

I mean, if you move the menubar, do you then also move the Dock?

It makes sense the way things work.

It'd be nice, though, if your screens were aligned, you could have the menubar span more than one monitor like the taskbar can on Windows.

Of course Apple would love us to solve this "problem" ourselves by simply buying a 30" Cinema Dispaly.

prodshot_30_inch_3display.jpg

:)

Back