multiple networks screwing up Airport

writerjen

Registered
We have a WPA2 wireless network in the house. One of our neighbors (I don't know which one) has an open network, and once one of our Airport-equipped computers connects to it, I can't get it to sign in to the house network again (tried restarting, etc.) I've tried setting up different locations for each network, but the 'house' location still won't sign into the network that's right here and running. It won't sign on to anything at all, unless it has permission to find an open network, then it sucks right back into the black hole of the neighbor's network.

The house network and the annoying neighbor network are 5 channels apart. Signal strength about the same. So what to do? Two parts:

1. What's up with the not recognizing our own network when this annoying open network is available? How do I get Airport to 'see' the house network?

2. I should configure ports to only connect to the MAC address of our wireless router, right? How to do that?

Thanks for any and all help...

Will whats going on here is that airport out of the box does not like to use WEP or WAP. If Airport on your wireless mac see a open network that is of the same signal strength it will use the open one frist. Next if you are runing Apple's "AirPort" Card it does not work with WAP2 that is way I have a 3th party WiFi Card for that. Next off if you back down the WAP2 to just WAP and setup a profile for you home network and Keys that you use, Then the Mac will use that Profile now that out of the box one that like open APs. Hope that helps you out some.

Followup to my original post... what actually was going on here was that the wireless router was failing. Once I replaced it, there was no problem for any of our computers to access the home network.

Back