multiple screen saver folders?

dibble90

Registered
Why is there one in system-library, and one in library? I have some screen savers that i would like to install for all users. The weird thing is no matter where I put those screen savers, they show up on both accounts. Also, where are other folders such as Applications, utilities, widgets, and desktop pictures? (that can be seen by all users, not user specific) Thanks, sorry if its an odd question, I am new to os x :)

'... sorry if its an odd question, I am new to os x ...', no problem. There are Mac'ers with up to 18 years of real Macintosh experiences (System 1.0 - 9.2.2) that share your MacOS X (10.0.0 - 10.4.2) confusion and frustrations.

01. Basically, one is never ever to place a file or folder of items - into the folders of the '/System/Library/' folder (accessible via 'root' or overridden by an administrator). Such folders are reserved for Apple Computer, Inc.; including the '/System/Library/Screen Savers/' folder.
02. For all users of your Mac to have available a screen saver, place the screen saver file into the '/Library/Screen Savers/' folder (accessible by an administrator).
03. For only a current user to have available a screen saver, place the screen saver file into the '~/Library/Screen Savers/' folder. Where '~/' is the current user's 'Home' folder (accessible by the current user).

'... The weird thing is no matter where I put those screen savers, they show up on both accounts.', I am assuming you mean either the '/System/Library/Screen Savers/' and '/Library/Screen Savers/' folders. If so, yes - you are correct.

All applications in the '/Applications/' and '/Applications/Utilities/' folders are accessible by all users of the Mac.

The notes of 02. and 03 above applies to 'Widgets' as well. Thus, installing a widget into the '/Library/Widgets/' folder (accessible by an administrator), makes it available for all users of the Mac.
Installing a widget into the '~/Library/Widgets/' folder (accessible by the current user), makes it available only for the current user. If the '~/Library/Widgets/' does not exist, one can create it.

With respect to 'Desktop' pictures, Apple allows each user of the Mac, via the 'System Preferences' 'Desktop & Screen Saver's 'Desktop' tab's left side column - to select 'Choose Folder...'. From the selections resultant drop down sheet, one can navigate to a folder and select a graphic file - to be the 'Desktop's background image, for that current user. Thus, each user of the Mac can have a different 'Desktop' background.

/Library/ScreenSavers - these can only be installed by an admin, and are available to ALL users of the computer.

/Users/Username/Library/ScreenSavers - these can be changed only by that user or an admin. They are available only to THAT SPECIFIC USER.

Back