Multiple sites not working -- Help Needed

razorandblade

Registered
I'm having trouble setting up multiple web sites on my new xserve. I've read the documentation, and it all seems pretty simple, but doesn't seem to work. Here's what I have done:

-Got everything up and running, and could see the default page for the web server.
-Set up my name server to point at it with it's name, and I could see the default page there.

That's when the first problem crept up. I'm migrating for a linux server running 200+ sites. I took one site that didn't get much traffic and moved all the files over to the new server, changed the document path to reflect it correctly, made the appropriate IP address changes in my name server, pointing that domain name at the new xserve. I enabled the web site, saved it, restarted the web server, and instead of the site showing up, the default page showed up.

I messed around with and double-checked all the settings. Everything was fine. To make it work properly, I disabled the default page and then my site showed up. I thought I had it all figured out. Well, I guess I missed something in the manual...

I moved another web site over to the xserve this morning, made the appropriate name server changes, enabled the site, and guess what showed up at that domain name? That's right, the first web site I had configured on it. Now, surely this expensive machine is capable of serving multiple web sites from the same IP address, but I guess I'm missing something.

Can someone more experienced in the OS X Server software help me out and direct me to my mistake?

Thanks.

I have a bunch of domains running from one Mac OS X Server. What version of the OS are you running? I have Tiger here.

The steps I usually used were:

1. Create new Site record in Server Admin
2. Fill in domain name, IP, Port, Web folder for that domain and default index pages.
3. Add in Web Server aliases.

That should get you multiple sites with basic functionality.

Michael

Back