Multiple vs. Single User

adammull

Registered
Question for anyone out there although there may not be an answer. Apple has always allowed you to, for instance, buy Jaguar and install it on as many machines as you want, say like my home network. Reading the Panther info now though makes me scared to buy the single version when they are offering the new 5 user pac. I don't want to buy it if I don't have to, and I don't want to get home from buying the single version to find out that I can only install Panther on one Mac. Anyone know if Apple is going the way of windows with software registration passwords and such?

Apple never "allowed" you to install their OS on more than one machine. People just do it. There's no security checks or anything to prevent you from doing it.

Panther will not require any kind of special activation, nor will it not work if you install it on more than one machine. It will run just fine on both machines, even concurrently.

It's just illegal.

Really? I always thought you were allowed to buy an OS for personal use. I, personally (no grubby friends included), have several computers running on an airport at home. The family each wants their own space I guess. Anyway, I just didn't want to have to spend more if I didn't have to. But are you saying that even though I own all these computers, I still should be the multi-pac? That doesn't sound right.

Afraid so. The license agreement says you get to install on just one Mac, unless you buy the multi-pack.

That is, in fact, the whole point of the Family Pack:
"The Family Pack is an easy and inexpensive way of using a single copy of Mac OS X Panther v10.3 to install the operating system on up to 5 Macintosh computers (household use only). "

One week after you buy an install Panther, Apple sends a Rep out to your house with a warrant to check your computers to make sure you followed their licensing agreement, which you can read before installing. :)

You're always required to buy a license for each machine you install on, but most don't, I don't think I even do that :(

Originally posted by bobw
One week after you buy an install Panther, Apple sends a Rep out to your house with a warrant to check your computers to make sure you followed their licensing agreement, which you can read before installing. :)

You're always required to buy a license for each machine you install on, but most don't, I don't think I even do that :(

At gunpoint I hope ::ha::

you are telling me that you would buy two copies of an OS to put on your two home computers even though there is no registration number?

No, spend the extra 50 dollars on the multi liscence pack, on the *honor* system. Support your favorite computer maker! I could easily have downloaded 10.2 off carracho or bittorrent, but I shelled out $129 and intend to get as much help from my parents as I can with panther - but would feel horrible pirating it.

Buy the family pack if you want to install on more than one machine (but no more than 5).

There have been MANY discussions about the licensing terms of software here -- just because there's no method in the software to make sure you're not doing something illegal with it doesn't mean that it's not illegal. You can drive your car down the wrong side of the road just as easily as you can on the correct side, but that doesn't mean it's legal to do so.

When you install OS X, there's a lengthy license you have to agree to before the software will install... remember that "Agree" or "Disagree" dialog? When you hit the "Agree" button, you agreed that you'd only be using the software on one machine... apparently a LOT of people agree to things they know nothing about.

This is far-far fetched and won't ever happen, but Apple could put a clause in that agreement saying something like you relinquish your ownership of your house upon installing the software, and you'd never know because you didn't read what you agreed to.

Read what you agree to. At least skim it.

Oh, and I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you... ;)

License agreements with clauses beyond the piracy topic generally do not stand in court.

Post-purchase agreements are considered entrapment. Post-purchase agreements of a product that cannot be returned without a fight holds even less weight.

The agree and disagree buttons are a formality. Laws protecting content creators and manufacturers are the key.

The 5-user multipack is only $200, a) the price of one copy of Windows XP Home and b) only 85% more than a single copy of Panther... and you get 4 more legitimate copies for that extra $70! Get the multipack, it is well worth it for your checkbook if your conscience is yelling at you, especially if you have more than two computers to use it with.

Apple is being nice in not putting stupid security in their OS install. Also, they have the best "Dongle" security for their OS in the industry. :) If you own a legitimately purchased macintosh, you shouldn't feel too bad about running any version of Mac OS on it. Apple got something out of it anyway. But Apple is trying to make money by being nice. It only works if their users are nice back to them. Perhaps that's why they'll never be the 90% gorilla?

That being said, the family pack is an attempt to address the issue of one man, many macs. It costs less than 2 copies, so even at just 2 machines it's a savings over something that went all winXP on you. I also just gave a guy I know a copy of the Mac OS 9.2.1 installer for his home mac because his disk got destroyed. That's possible in part because Apple allows us fair use of their OS. Of all the things that Apple makes a profit on, the MacOS isn't one of them. It's worth every penny you pay and then some.

Back