Music download problem

iswitched

Registered
There's an application that converts music that downloaded as 'documents' into mp3 format. Does anyone know what it's called?

Thanks

iSwitched

Thanks for the replies, but can you tell me how I change the files to mp3's? They are in my music folder in a document format with the extension "fsp.mp3". I really appreciate your help.

iSwitched (very recently!)

OK the files look like documents (white page) and have the extension "fsp.mp3", there is no mp3 icon. When I try to run them I get a message saying that there is no default application available. When I select iTunes i get an error message - 10814.
At one time I had an application where I could drag the "page" and it instantly converted to mp3, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.
Really appreciate your replies, please hang in with me until I get this sorted!

iSwitched

If you have a document called "fsp.mp3", this document is recognized by the system as being a MP3 file. Thus this file should normally open into iTunes, or your default MP3 player.

Open Quicktime, select OPEN from the FILE menu and select your file. Does it open ? Is there an error ? Does Quicktime detects it ? Tell us.

Is your system well installed ? Is the file big ? Where does it come from ? Is it a partial download from the Web ?

Dear All,

Simple at it might sound, is this MP3 a download?

If so, it might be ZIPped? Drop it on Expander. The amount of times that I have to do this?

First of all a big 'thank you' to everyone for your replies. I downloaded the album from an ftp server - each song is saved in my music folder and is in document format. I have tried your various suggestions:
Quicktime - error message indicating that Quicktime cannot open a 'document'.
I tried dropping into Stuffit Expander, but nothing happens.
I read the info. on the link that Macluv suggested and maybe that's the problem - but I am not technically savvy enough to wade through the info. there, but it sounds like this album might have been on an fsp server. (Dunno if I am making sense or not - bear in mind I am technically challenged). As for the format being ASCII or binary - I am using Captain FTP and have set the preferences to "Automatic".
It has been suggested I use iTuner, but in checking it out, it looks like it only runs in OS9 (which I ditched when I installed Jag).
I have run into this in the past and the application that I used to have pre-Jag did the trick - but I just can't remember the name of it!
This problem might never be solved, but maybe this additional info. might help you to come up with the magic answer. If not, then it's 'thrash' and back to square one!
Thanks again!

iSwitched

it sounds like the files were downloaded as ascii files and not binary files... as you had your FTP client set to "automatic" and you were downloading from an FSP server, that would be my first guess. Download one song manually as a binary file from Captain FTP and see what happens... if it works, you know you've downloaded the whole lot as ascii and you'll have to do it all over again... D'OH!

This is sooooo embarassing! Macluv I did as you suggested and downloaded one track in binary form, but it still downloads as before. Would the fact that I downloaded from a PC server have anything to do with it (although I have done this before with no problem)?
I'm at the point of giving up, and going out to buy the CD:eek:
Thanks again you guys for your help and if anyone can come up with another suggestion, it will be much appreciated.

iSwitched

D'OH!

It's possible that the files were u/l to the server incorrectly so that now they're garbage... so no matter what you do they won't play... i'll look into the fsp faq if I have more time...

:p

that's kind of what i'm suspecting. try removing the extension from the file completely (naming it 'track') and then re-adding it ('track.mp3'). when the prompt shows up to ask you if you want to add mp3 as the extension, say 'yes'.
if that doesn't work, i suspect the files are just dead on arrival.

another interesting thought... if you still have Classic on you machine, install SoundApp PPC and see if it opens the file in Classic mode and plays it. It will automatically play the file if it's able to be played at all, and then you'll know fer sure...

There's no soundApp for OS X (yet) but I'm sure somebody will come out with one soon enough... I don't know what I would have done without that little gem...

;) :D

I gave your suggestion a try boi, but still no luck, so having tried everything, I suspect they are corrupted and I am gonna thrash them:mad:

Macluv when I partitioned and installed Jag, I didn't bother reinstalling OS9, since I never had occasion to use it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

iSwitched

Back