MWSF - Mixed emotions, really mixed.

toast

Gone !
- No Mail update (= no Hotmail access)
- No iTunes update (= no Library organization with Genre/Artist)
- Safari: no tabs, ugly buttons, just a bookmark organizer as if it was more important than tabs ! Hopefully there is popup blocking, Cocoa text boxes and it's free.
- Keynote is PowerPoint for Dummies (just as iCal is Entourage for Dummies BTW) as Steve has shown us so well by being a dummy with his "Look, that's sublime" interventions. Most of the MWSF keynote was a succession of transitions FX and photo FX. Nothing profesionnal, even my mothe would be bored in a week.
- OS9 is killed. Bye !I'm trashing Fontographer you mean ? That's desperate.
- iLife: never seen such a pathetic name. Looks like George Orwell or Aldous Huxley could have found it for him. iLive OnmyMac WithMyWife AndKids And iSpend MyDays MakingVideos OfThem iniLife. Ridiculous.
- No full DIVX support in Quicktime.

After this MWSF, I'm gonna feel like I'm a video god for... hm... two days. Then I'll get back to normal state and think: oh, I'm gonna browse some forums. With no tabs. Then I'm gonna listen some music. On old iTunes 3 (which is good, okay, but could be even better).

Apart from "superb transitions" there's nothing new, free and innovative as there was before in Apple. Apart from transitions a poor video freak could have made (that may be overstating, but I feel it).

You can also feel like a real company God making heavenly presentations. PC guys have been making those for years.

HOWEVER, I'm very pleased by the new hardware. And, after all, the software is not so bad, I just expected more... Hence, mixed emotions.

safari is beta. give it time.
you're trashing ilife for its name. get over it. it's great to see the iapps talk to each other.
you haven't used keynote so you have no idea how powerful/unpowerful it is.
itunes 3 isn't exactly old.
if you haven't noticed, apple has a trend of moving away from microsoft. hotmail access in mail is unlikely.
booting in 9 is killed. use classic to use fontographer.
no DIVX support in quicktime? what a surprise. i hope they release iPirate at the next keynote.

this keynote rocked. i'm only disappointed because they didn't release anything i could afford (new ipod, namely ^_^)

Originally posted by boi
safari is beta. give it time.
I am. I am at the moment. :)

you're trashing ilife for its name.
Because that's the first thing you notice about a program. Imagine Apple Inc. was called PineApple Inc.

it's great to see the iapps talk to each other.
I agree. Though I won't use this cross-iApps funtionality 'cause I don't film children and snowmen all day :D.

you haven't used keynote so you have no idea how powerful/unpowerful it is.
It may be very powerful, PowerPoint is too.

itunes 3 isn't exactly old.
It misses some little things that ought to be in the 3.02 version. Which is not released yet. Grr.. But forget it, I'm not patient enough because I listen music all day and I'd like iTunes programmers to work 24/7.

if you haven't noticed, apple has a trend of moving away from microsoft. hotmail access in mail is unlikely.
You make a point here.

booting in 9 is killed. use classic to use fontographer.
Classic + Fontographer is the most unstable thing I know you can do with a computer.

no DIVX support in quicktime? what a surprise. i hope they release iPirate at the next keynote.
What about full AVI support then ? Is that a better formulation ? I still get FREE, LEGAL AVI's that choke sound (if there is sound at all).

this keynote rocked. i'm only disappointed because they didn't release anything i could afford
Strangely enough, that's also my point. We conclude the same way. :)

I think we should ban Toast for his piss-poor attitude? Anyone agree?

Sir,

1) It is a honor to have the master of this place reading and contributing to my humble discussion.
2) What do you mean by banning me, you nasty evil... grayscale... guy ? :D

I'm French. I need cheese with my wine ;).

I live in Pleasantville where everything is just perfect. My laptop screen is B&W as well.

Quicktake: Good, solid, all around lineup offered. Nothing earth shattering, but by no means disappointing either.

1. New 17" laptop. And I thought the last one was a great machine. If Apple isn't careful, in a year or two I may never buy a desktop machine again.

2. Safari?I like it. Runs fast, looks nice. Needs Auto Fill. Other than that, it has supplanted all other browsers for me (which is saying something since I have tried every conceivable alternative to IE).

3. iLife?Whatever. I'm a professional. I have no need for any of this nonsense, but I fully understand its apeal to others.

4. Final Cut Express?Nice move. Say goodbye to Adobe Premiere on the Mac forever. Looks fairly intact for a crippled app.

5. Keynote?Looks nice. I'll believe PowerPoint export when I see it. It will have to be crippled. I make a lot of PPTs for clients that need to run them on PCs, so I may not benefit from this app. I rarely (never) make presentations for myself or Mac-only clients, so I'll have to pass (though I really want to try it out).

6. Airport Extreme?Nice, but I just ran some tests on my cabled network and I can move 7-10 megabytes per sec, whereas Extreme maxes out at 6.75 (theoretical), so I'll just deal with the well-hidden cables for now.

I was pleasantly surprised by most of the announcements. Granted, the rumorsites got the iApp updates, but what made this Keynote special was all the surprises..... Big and little PowerBooks, an Apple-branded web browser, and presentation software that has cooler transitions than anything I've seen from PowerPoint. I'm happy.

"I think we should ban Toast for his piss-poor attitude? Anyone agreed?"

Hmmm....NO

Instead lets make this a place where anyone can say what they have on their mind, because words can't actually hurt you and if someone bothers you that much just don't read what they say.

Sorry, I realize that you might have been joking but seriously that's not cool.

Yeah, let's ban me. I should exile to Cupertino. Isn't that perfect punishment ? ;)

I understood why I'm a bit disappointed: these announcements were not targetted at me (Mac addict, design/browsing) but at my parents:

"Ho ? We can make our photos brighter ? That's fantastic ! Ho, we get tons of video software to make supa-supa-family videos ? Extatic ! It's called iLife... isn't it nice and sweet ? And this Keynote I can use to show off at work... yeah ! I need them all."

I'd say:

"I still need fonts to preview in the Finder, I still need some more features in iTunes and Mail. Ho, what about the tabs ? Missed something ?"

;)

I'm with Toast. I posted my disappointed about Apple last month (Losing Faith in Apple). My opinion really hasn't changed. This MacWorld brought no innovation to the table. A 17" giant on my lap can hardly be considered innovation.

Did you hear the sighs when Steve showed the Jacket? Is he on crack? Don't waste my time to tell me there is a $500 Jacket that allows me to control my iPod. Puhlease.

I was also bothered by the 20 minutes of themes and transitions. Boooooring. Now the dumbest person makes great looking presentations. I look forward to hours of presentations looking like Blackboard. The oohs and aaaahs will soon fade.

And iDVD is neat but come one - who has a Superdrive yet? I don't and when I will I back up data. But I understand that it will appeal to an audience I am not part of.

I thought it was fair to get the iApps free except iDVD. I was getting all worked up about the rumors that they would be fee based from now on. As long as I can download the individually I am fine with it.

In terms of overall innovation though I was disappointed. I actually made time to watch the whole thing and I though at the end Steve would pull out the Joker. What about the new LifeStyle device everyone has been talking about? People could hardly have meant the $1800 Powerbook. And as appealing as a 17" screen sounds in a Powerbook who really needs that much bulkiness. Blah. A step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

Safari is miserable and Chimera is still leaps and bounds ahead. Just load a flash movie into Safari and you will know what I mean. I don't care how fast the app opens because its open all the time anyway. I care about how quickly my content downloads. Plus - do we really need another browser to customize for? I checked some of my own designed sites and could notice display differences already.

Overall, Steve over-promised and under-delivered. Again. Sorry, but that was a waste of time. Note to self: unload Apple stock.

Finally, a little bit of honesty on the side of the effeciveness of the Switch Ads would have been nice. Has either you of been asked if you are a switcher upon buying a computer at the Apple store? I didn't when I bought my Tibook.
The stat that 64% of visitors to the Switch site were windows machines is a bogus fact. I work on a windows machine as well as on a Mac and have accessed the switch site myself - therefore being one of the roughly 5.5 million people allegetly being windows users.

Oh well. Just my 2 cents.

G

Seems to me we have another spoil sport. :)

Boo hoo, the latest imagination from a rumor writer didn't make it. I spent 2 hours and was disappointed.

Life sucks, then you die.

Think Different.

Originally posted by ScottW
I think we should ban Toast for his piss-poor attitude? Anyone agree?

;)

No... I think toast is entitled to his opinion, and I think he made some good points--the biggest one being iLife--how presumptuous of Apple. If one thinks a name like that isn't going to make Apple seem more elitist than I don't know what to say.

[goofy voice]
Duh... hey PC users, get an iLife!
[/goofy voice]

I think the marketing department at Apple is pushing it...

Overall, as a person who has been dedicated to Apple Computer for over two-thirds of his life, I have to say I'm very dissapointed with Apple at this point. If people want to get into it, I'm not going to rain on their parade, but Apple has yet to address more of the serious issues it faces walking into the future with this sort of product lineup. If I want to support a rogue computing system, I'll go with Linux. The attitude that we should wait around for Apple to get its ass in gear (releasing beta apps? WTF?) is ludicrous.

I expect more from Apple. I think we all should. Frankly I'm tired of everyone telling me to "chill out" because "they'll get there". I've been using Apple for almost my whole life, and they're still "not there". What do you guys want me to do? How long do I have to wait for Apple to fufill promises it's been making to me for twenty years?

Sorry about the rant, but I needed to put this into my perspective. I hope others here can be tolerant of my opinions.

Yea, well anyone who has "MacLuv" as their screen name and bashes Apple so frequently is pushing it in my opinion.

Back