My burner won't keep any cd in! Imac G-4 10.3.9Panther

Aneedahelper

Registered
My burner has been glitching since I bght it, in 2004,but now won't allow any cd to stay...reads & spits it out. I tried unsrewing the bottom to clean, but seems I need yet another screwdriver, with a 6 point star now! Anyone have any ideas? apple store says this is an Antique....

I have barely used it, in the past 5 yrs. It glitched from the gate,in 04 when I bght it. I have the notes...Burning was always a problem. But being new,I didn't know if it was me,or it! Now I do!
I always used a cleaner too. How about,getting the insides cleaned? I tried to open & see what's inside,but can't without the 6 star screwdriver....
Get a new burner,you suggested. Like an external type, more wires . Will go to your suggested link. Frustrated, & thanks!

You'll need whats call a torxs screw driver.

But spending the 10 or more to get the screw driver, isnt worth it, and is almost half of a new base model CD drive, spend the extra 30-40 and get a fast CD DVD Burner.

Because i can already tell you, if it was from the "Gate" cleaning it isn't going to do anything for you, as being brand new, it should have been clean.

ok, but shouldn't the guts, be cleaned once in a while? As with all fans, I can see it has dust on the blades. I always have to open up my fans,& clen them, & air purifiers, with filters... & I smoke, too. SO I'm assuming the nicotine gets into the holes underneath the base. Yesterday, I clean out with small vacume 4 comtrs. ect,& the outter pan, too. So id that burner Mac compatible? & Is in in the egg website? I'm trying to search, & come up with nothing. Thanks, Jessie 714

It's possible that smoking can ruin your computer, yeah.
No, The "guts" should be cleaned, You really don't even want to take it apart, A drive is only good for so long anyway, and like you said, it didn't work all that great from the beginning. Any of those DVD drive's will work in a Mac, But try to read the comments and choose the best drive.
Your Welcome.
I'm here to Help!!
:)

PS. Hit the thanks button!

so yes it should be cleaned...By Apple store? Read what comments to get the right one...? It's not searching when I ask burner for Macs...

I'm cleaning the insides of the cd,drawer as we speak...there's just so far I can see in there,but if it's like a cassette ect,any swabbing should help. Using my eye glass cleaner,solution. Wish me luck!

no, They don't need to be cleaned.
Don't search Mac, Just read the comments, and see what other people have thought about it. Just try to find the one that will work best for you.

nothing here, but so far the cd is staying in now...I have a cleaner disc in there, but the show the CD upon insertion, is not working...either. I tried a dvd too, & it satys in...not ejecting every second, now....but it didn't read it was in there...

Well, I was able to keep the blank cd in,& burned 2 songs, off my newly bght Itunes, then it quit said burn speed wuz 2 high...was set @ max "as possible"...& after 2 sngs,spit it out, burn 2 fast reset to 1 x, got 4 songs, then same...Thank me!

Back