My Connection To You Guys

caribooyj

... somewhere in B.C. ...
My satellite setup. Only way to get online, make phone calls and work from home... it's broadband up to 1.5MB, could be worse. For many years I thought I will never be able to connect from home until finally a few years ago Xplornet provided sat. service for rural B.C. :)

Attachments

• Jan26418.JPG
    Jan26418.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 66
How much does that cost a month? Over where I live, something like that would cost around 100 dollars a month plus 400 dollars installation fee.

Quion, you are right on... I started with a package for CAN-$60.00/month but the speed was too low. Now with speeds of "up to" 1.5MB it costs me $150.00/month. Installation was $700.00 a few years ago. It is expensive, but then again it allows me to do business consulting work from home without a regular phone line... without the set-up it would mean a 2 hour commute daily, rent for office space, etc... and I still wouldn't have internet and phone for private use. Cheap if you look at it that way!
The connection is very stable and reliable but the promised speeds of 1.5MB are seldom available. I often run speed tests and my average is 1.0MB. Uploads are painfully slow: 2 to 3 times the speed of a 28kBM modem connection.
Well, one pays a high price for living in the 'bush", I guess ;-)
t0m

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 49
Back