My defective desktop preferences pane

Cow Loon

Registered
Urggh. Any ideas on how I can track down the problem. I don't get an app that launches to allow me to select the desktop background in system preferences.

If I click on
/System/Library/PreferencePanes/DesktopPictures.prefPane

System Preferences opens with a blank window

What'll I do?

This may have happened after uninstalling codetek virtualdesktop.

Find and delete the file 'com.apple.preferencepanes.cache'
Logout and login, then try system preferences, you should then see the 'desktop' prefpane. You may also need to delete the cache files and let the system rebuild access to the prefs that way. Use something like Cocktail or Maintain to remove all cache files (there's other software that does this too), Or use terminal commands directly if you're comfortable with that, Lots of choices to help with maintaining your system.now.

Then look in your library folder in your user home folder, there should be a 'caches' folder, and in that folder should be the referenced file 'com.apple.preferencepanes.cache'. While your in your Library folder, go into preferences and delete the file called 'com.apple.systempreferences.plist' What else have you tried so far?

Oops. I did have a .cache file... I used the locate command and it returned no matches. I guess updatedb is not setup.

In anycase, deleting that and logging out/in didn't fix it, but deleting com.apple.preferencepanes.plist file did (after logging out/in).

Thanks!

Back