my entire desktop suddenly disappeared from my computer and was only on iCloud. WTF is going on?

ganzoltd

Registered
Just now I got emails from apple saying that my iCloud account was full and there is no more room. At the same time my entire desktop and documents folder's contents were gone! They were all moved to the iCloud but removed from my local machine. I have no clue as to how this happened (obviously something I did when trying to follow instructions for synching the contacts) and I had to manually bring them back from iCloud onto my computer with the warning from Apple that they no longer will exist in iCloud and won't be available anymore on any of my other devices (which I never access from anyway). What is going on and how can I stop this from happening? I never wanted to use iCloud but it seemed to be the only way that Apple will synch the computer with the iPhone or iPad for contacts and calendars anymore. It drives me crazy!

I stopped using sync. If there was something that I wanted on both my desktop and my phone, I put it in manually. No more headaches.

If I turn off iCloud Drive it warned me that " all documents stored in iCloud will be removed from this Mac." Should I be worried that I will lose everything? It sounds really ominous. Right now it looks like this in System settings-Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 13.26.17.png
What are the best settings to keep my docs and files on the Mac? It is quite confusing to me.

I never turned on iCloud drive and when there was an update that automatically turned it on, I turned it off.

You should be able to download the original documents that are on iCloud. Since I never used the cloud drive, I can't help you with that. Then you should be able to turn it off or turn off some of the sync items.

I never turned on iCloud drive and when there was an update that automatically turned it on, I turned it off.

You should be able to download the original documents that are on iCloud. Since I never used the cloud drive, I can't help you with that. Then you should be able to turn it off or turn off some of the sync items.
Thanks.

Back