My experience with Tiger's installation

tuqueelukee

Registered
My install went fine. Here's an overview of what went down:

1. Tiger arrives. Much jubilance and dancing. :D

2. Repaired permissions, and booted up from the Tiger DVD.

3. Did a Repair Disk from Disk Utility, and proceeded to install (using the Upgrade option). Install proceeded swiftly.

4. Rebooted into Tiger! Spotlight indexed for a while (around 20 minutes). Afterwards, I did a permissions repair, and started playing around with features.

That's pretty much it. After an hour, some problems arose with login slowdowns; I removed the com.apple.loginwindow.plist file, and all went good.

tuqueelukee said:
My install went fine. Here's an overview of what went down:

1. Tiger arrives. Much jubilance and dancing. :D

2. Repaired permissions, and booted up from the Tiger DVD.

3. Did a Repair Disk from Disk Utility, and proceeded to install (using the Upgrade option). Install proceeded swiftly.

4. Rebooted into Tiger! Spotlight indexed for a while (around 20 minutes). Afterwards, I did a permissions repair, and started playing around with features.

That's pretty much it. After an hour, some problems arose with login slowdowns; I removed the com.apple.loginwindow.plist file, and all went good.

nice to see a success story from an Upgrade install...I've been reading a lot, and I'm not sure what I should do when I get my copy: upgrade or archive & install. I'm not even really sure what archive & install does...it's likea clean install? so i'll have to renistall all my stuff?

Congrats on your new beast .. err, feline. I mean 10.4. :D
Enjoyable to see how the Repair permissions before and after does miracles, isn't it? ;)

It is a prefrence file and can become corrupted, causing errors or slowdowns (Note there are possibly several prefrence files per application.). When deleted Mac will make a new one, If it's a program like Photoshop, Photoshop should create a new one. Usually after this you will have to set Prefrences and Settings in the applaction that it is for. I believe prefrence files can be found in /users/usershortname/library/prefrences. usershortname is your user short name. Can be found under Accounts in System Prefrences. You usually always want to move the prefrence file first before deleting in case you need it again.

Thanks riccbhard! Hey, since I have you here, might there be something similar for Safari. It simply will not run now that I upgraded to 10.4. Crashes every single time I try to start it. Well, I tried deleting com.apple.Safari.plist and no go. Maybe I should start a thread on this? It is driving me crazy.

Open a Finder window (like Documents) and search for "com.apple.Safari.plist". When found, first try moving it somewhere else, like to the desktop. You may want to restart. If Safari is then working fine, you can delete it.

EDIT: Oops, didnt read (tired) you tried deleting it. I would start a topic so more people can read it.

Thanks - actually, I edited the post, probably while you were replying! :) I made a new post on the Safari issue, but your log in trick worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Back