My First Year as a mac user...

heathpitts

Registered
Well,

I am approaching the anniversary of my first purchase of a Mac. I first bought a PowerMac G4 Cube. Coolest computer ever! I used it for the first 8 months or so for everything from email to web design. I bought .mac, made a book in iphoto, bought songs in iTunes, bought an ipod...you know general computer stuff.

I recently purchased my second Mac. A Powerbook 12. It is simply the best computer I have ever owned. I figured out the useability of a Mac when I learned all the keyboard commands. These simply make a laptop useable.

After that I bought a Tivo series 2 with the Home Media Option. I tried setting this up with a linksys 802.11b router that I have. This sucked since I don't have high speed access and was very unreliable as far as connecting to the Tivo desktop from my Cube. I believe it was a dns problem because tivo would see it fine if I had my xp machine that was sharing a modem dialed into the internet. (yuck! XP!) So I bought the Airport Extreme Base Station with modem and antenna port. This thing is great! Tivo sees the Cube without fault every time now. Now with this I can take my final windows machine off my network and be mac only, well except when I game, which is not often.

So everything I have purchased from Apple, besides my PB 12's backlight being burnt out when I got it, has been exceptional.

As a profession I am a PC support and repair technician/Web Designer. I had been using a win box for 13 years since I was 12. I work on pc's all day and I see the problems that people always have with them. It is such a breath of fresh air to use a mac and things be simple. Things also work reliably unlike many things on the pc side. I have switched completely to Macs now and I can't ever see myself going back. I really feel like mac users have had it right all along and the windows users just don't know what they are missing. Hey! I guess the switch campaign worked on someone!

Well, that was my year in review, sorry to waste some of your time.

Man I wish Tivo would play aac files. Then everything would be right with the world...

Oh, the one thing I don't like about OSX is the horrific printing problems that I have been having. I have been using print center repair about once every two weeks to keep my printers working. Maybe this will be fixed in panther.

Hope so. I'm glad you're enjoying the path of the enlightened ones. 13 must be Microsoft's unlucky number when it comes to keeping your business.

You should go on Wintel forums and give testimonials. Actually, all the switchers on this site (and those who haven't discovered this oasis yet) should do the same.

Originally posted by arden
You should go on Wintel forums and give testimonials. Actually, all the switchers on this site (and those who haven't discovered this oasis yet) should do the same.
I'm not a switcher, but I like to go to sysopt.com and find the Mac threads. Then, I make my case (that you actually can do it on a Mac!) and at least answer the ignorance.

Screenshots always help. Multiple screenshots to show that you aren't sitting there doctoring them, which is pointless, but they might think that.

Glad to hear you enjoy Macs...I have been using them since the Macintosh LC (using Kid Pix, the coolest program ever hahhah), before the Mac I was using Commodore 64s. I agree with the fact most people don't know what they are missing. :)

I have been Mac user for 3 years. But back 3 years ago, I wasn't 100% committed to Mac. I was keep switch between PC and Mac.

Every time I have PC, I get mad when I have problem with Windows machines.
To me, PC isn't "Plug-and-Play", it is "Plug-and-get mad"

Now I am 100% (hopefully) committed to Mac.
I haven't got mad at my comptuer for long, long time.

I think I am going to stay with Mac from now on. :)

(Microsoft _meant_ to call it "Plug n' Pray" but they got it all wrong.)

@heathpitts: Nice story. Wish I could tell a switcher story, but mine would compare the Macintosh experience with Atari ST, Amiga and Windows 3.1 (at the time I switched to the Mac completely, those were the things I was using at home...).

You want a good story, read BusinezGuy's novella in the "Thrill is Gone" thread.

Robmcq: Good call.

Originally posted by robmcq
One of funny topic in Sysopt.com

Someone was talking about Virutal PC for Windows 98, someone else asked if that is PlayStation 1 emulator.

Its not quite as silly as I thought at first actuall, does anyone remember the Connectix PS1 emulator for mac? I got it in New York in about 2000. It did work although I didn't use it much.

Originally posted by monktus
does anyone remember the Connectix PS1 emulator for mac?
Yeah, that thing caused quite a stir. Sony filed a lawsuit against Connectix and eventually it went off the market (I think).

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/search....d=176654&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

I've seen quite a few of mdlarson's posts there, but personally, I cannot tolerate reading more than a few posts, before I have to leave. Such insanity. Kudos to you dude for responding. I couldn't do it. I know some simians can be taught rudimentary sign language, but you can't teach a chimp to read Shakespeare or to play Scrabble. Same thing with trying to educate many Wintel folk.

Originally posted by heathpitts
Man I wish Tivo would play aac files. Then everything would be right with the world...

Oh, the one thing I don't like about OSX is the horrific printing problems that I have been having. I have been using print center repair about once every two weeks to keep my printers working. Maybe this will be fixed in panther.
I had a TON of problems with my TiVo and HMO... It turned out that this ONLY works behind a router with DHCP eventhough TiVo happily accepts a static IP address. (My ISP give me 5 static IP's.) I have a wired ethernet network in my home that could easily be upgraded to gigabit if necessary...

Though my many hours of phone calls with TiVo they said it ABSOLUTELY would start supporting AAC files "soon". (I also asked if it would ever support raw CD "red book" Audio AIFF files, and they said "NO, Never"... No doubt a piracy thing, but I'd sure love to rip my music in an uncompressed form.)

I canceled my HMO, but plan on reinstating it once the AAC support is implemented. For the moment the sound quality of Mp3's on our living room stereo is just not good enough. I'm hoping AAC's will be good enough to merrit ripping 400+ CD's...

If that does not work I might just have to dedicate a TiBook to full time living room iTunes Music sharing duty... That DOES support AIFF's.

Originally posted by Randman
I've seen quite a few of mdlarson's posts there, but personally, I cannot tolerate reading more than a few posts, before I have to leave. Such insanity. Kudos to you dude for responding. I couldn't do it. I know some simians can be taught rudimentary sign language, but you can't teach a chimp to read Shakespeare or to play Scrabble. Same thing with trying to educate many Wintel folk.
Yeah, I guess it's not about "convincing" anyone anymore, it's more, "making sure the casual browser who doesn't know anything about Macs doesn't go away with misinformation."

Back