My HD do not mount anymore !!!!

cluster1

Registered
Hi, Sorry for my bad english, i'm french from Montreal. Today i had to stop speed disk (Norton systemworks v1) cause a coworker rush me to do some pdf. Result : my HD where is install my OSX.3 do not show on the desktop anymore. I run disk utility, it see the HD and did its routine with success but still the HD do not show. I try a clean install but the installer do no see the HD. I start the mac with an other OSX install on a FireWire, my extern drives mounted but not my HD. I try with techtools, it did its routine with success but do not fix the problem. Norton Doctor utility see the HD but cannot run the exam, it said a corruption prevents the task. Id like to try volume recovery but i never use it before. What should i dooi have important stuff on this HD that i dont want too loose. Help please!!!!

Norton eats another HDD.....

Shut down your mac and then restart - after the startup sound,
press and hold down the command and s keys - this should
put you in single user mode.

At the prompt, type /bin/fsck -yf and let it run
the tests - you may have to run fsck several
times before you get the "disk ok" message

If that does not work, buy a copy of DiskWarrior: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

- and don't use any norton products on your mac again,
you will only be asking for trouble.

well i decided to try volume recovery from Norton and it worked perfectly well. Everything is at its places, and the system runs very well. Thanks to everyone though !

Don't try and optimize or defragment or run "speed disk" on an OS X drive if you use OS X version 10.2 or later. It is not needed and can cause exactly what you describe.

Back