My hub freezes OS 9

wdw_

Rockee
The other day I was booting into OS 9. When it was all booted up, I realized that the keyboard and the mouse were unresponsive. I restarted a few time and it kept happening. I would have just switched back to OS X, but because I couldn't use the keyboard or mouse, I couldn't change the startup disk. I knew it wasn't frozen, because the clock was working.

This all happened about a half an hour before a party my parents were throwing started, so about 45 minutes later I came back and found that the keyboard was working. So I tried to change the startup disk, but I still couldn’t do it without the mouse. Finally a few hours later, the mouse kicks in. So quickly I change the startup disk and everything was fine.

So last night I booted into OS 9 again. The same thing happened. I didn't want to wait 5 hours for everything to start working! So I'm doing hard drive scans with diagnostic CDs, I'm booting into OS 9 with the OS 9 install disc; nothing worked. Finally I decide to try changing the USB port that the keyboard was plugged into. This didn't work. I decided to try the third port on my iMac. So I had to unplug my USB hub. I did this and everything went back to normal. The USB hub was causing the keyboard and mouse to be useless. After I unplugged the hub, I could plug the keyboard into any port on the iMac and it worked.

Weird. Any idea why this is happening?

that's strange. that is the hub i have and i have never had a problem with it.

My advice would be to first use the hub with another computer with differing specs than your iMac to isolate whether it is the hub or your iMac. If the hub works with the other computer then you can deduct that your computer has a conflict with it. If vice-versa, then it may be that the hub is no bueno. Also, you can try a different hub with your iMac if a friend has one and see what that does.

Cheers,

Josh

Back