My Ibook Hates Osx!!!

SIYWGF

Registered
I Hope somebody can help me! rather a strange problem has happened!!!

i left my ibook on overnight to download a security update last week, when i woke up in the morning all was well and i restarted it, hopwever when it was rebooting, it fell off the table and the lid closed, therefore sending the machine to sleep.

when i restrated again it wouldnyt boot at all, no matter howe many times i truied, i managed to salvage the info by booting from an OS 9 cd and transerffing data from the HD to my ipod.

then i erased the disk and re-installed X. The computer still wouldnt boot. i then thought about installing OS9, and all worked fine and the computer runs OS9 perfectly. but for some reason after X has finished it still wont start up.

i have run the hardware test CD and all appears to be fine

i have even tried installing X on my ipod but the same thing happens, x hangs when it is installed on anything! i really hate OS9 and want X back!!! can anyone help me? if you can either leave a amessage here or e-mail me at GuyAdams1@mac.com

Please help me!!!!!

Well can anyone help me? this is really getting to me now cos i hate Classic, has anyone else experinced simmilar problems? or any solutions? please help me!

Get an apple tech to look at it and make sure you haven't damaged the sleep sensor. I had a similar problem when I dropped my iBook (though I never thought to try OS 9, I assume it treats the sleep sensor a little differently). If the sleep sensor gets squished, which can happen if you drop it or slam the lid down, the iBook won't start or run correctly.
It is a relatively easy replacement if it is damaged, just don't tell them you dropped it. ;-)

hmmmmm, i bought it from PC World in the UK and they sell the things but wont service them!!! i have to take it 30 miles to have it looked at by the apple service centre!!! i was wondering why it wouldnt work in X but will work in 9. i cant understand it, it wont even install on my ipod, the CD seeems fine too!!!! can anyone help me this is really importnt!!!

Well, as a last resort there a few more things you can try:

- Reset the PRAM (hold down command-option-P-R at startup)

- Reset the firmware (hold down command-option-O-F at startup, then type 'reset-all' and press return)

- Remove the battery, open up the machine, reseat your RAM and cables

- Low-level format the hard drive

i tried the first 3............. but no luck.....

How do i "Low Level" format the hard drive? i have erased it using disk utility on the installer CD, then did a wipe clean install, but still nothing, it just gets to a blue screen and hands, and the HD makes the same repetaive clicking noise, and thats it!!!

Why will it run classic fine but wont boot X? makes me think this is something else rather than the hard drive acting up, has anyone else got any other ideas???? PLEASE HELP ME!

Since no one has any other ideas, me thinks you should drive the 30 miles. Then let us know what they said/did.
Sorry :(

I suggest you call apple. That sounds like a special case. If cases are very rare and special they will take them even if the computer is out of warranty.

ok thanks anyway guys, i was thinking of buying something like disk warrior to see if that helps at all, last time i had probs all apple did was run disk warrior, and charged me £50 for it!! and i had to drive the 30 miles!

if you can wait about a week or two, they can ship out a box and repair it @ apple for free...

i had a similar problem but all i need was more RAM :\

You said you reinstalled X...how? If you could boot from the install CD you should be able to boot from a hard drive.

Is your hard drive partitioned?

Chris

Hey,
I had just about the same problem I had to live with Mac OS 9 for 2 months waiting for Mac OS 10.2, I had a waranity with apple but they wouldn't do anything to help me except tell me to wait for jajwar because it would fix everything and they were wright. I went online and signed up for Mac OS 10.2 so it would be here wright when it came out. ( hit say you are with education and you only pay 69.00 for Mac OS 10.2) when installed my ibook ran better than it has ever!:D I hope this will help you!

Originally posted by chabig
You said you reinstalled X...how? If you could boot from the install CD you should be able to boot from a hard drive.

Is your hard drive partitioned?

Chris
you can run from a cd without being able to run from the hard drive!
lane duncan

If the computer will boot and run from the CD, then I would suspect a problem with the hard drive, not the PRAM, or battery. And since he can boot from the hard drive using OS 9, I would then be suspicious of the OS X installation on the hard drive.

He said he reinstalled X, but didn't say how. I'd guess he reinstalled over his existing system. I would recommend he backup his data, reformat his drive, then reinstall X from scratch.

Note, I said reformat not erase. And I want all of the invisible system paritions to be recreated. SIYWGF-->in disk utility, go to the Partition tab, use the volume scheme popup menu to change your drive from whatever it is now (single parition?) to something else, say...2 partitions. Then put it back to a single parition.

This will recreate all of the data structures on the drive, including the partitions where the disk drivers live and other invisible system stuff. My bet is that something there got damaged that prevents you from booting into X from the hard drive.

After you've done that, reinstall X from the CD to the hard drive. I bet your problem will be gone.

Chris

Hey guys, sor some odd reason, the thing started working again! but not 100%,it will now boot and run OS X,but sometimes it stalls, the whole system hangs while the HD makes a repetative clicking noise, then works again, also for some reason Disk Copy will not work when i am trying to mound a DMG, and Installer wont work either.

This is the same noise happening that happened when the machine would not boot X, it would start up, halfway through booting would stop, with that same repetative noise. i am going to try the partitioning thing above, and see if that hepls, thanks guys! i'll keep u posted!

Are you able to try installing X on different HD that one you're now using? It may be HD issue. Borrow one or something.

Back