My iBook won't boot properly >:-(

burntoutjoy

Registered
Ok.

It all started when I changed the startup folder to OS 9 on my Nov 2002 iBook under OS 10.2.6. I rebooted, and was greeted with the Happy Computer...for about 3 seconds, upon which the Question Mark System Folder icon was presented. Ok, i thought, let's try a few tricks: Option on boot doesn't give me any bootable disks. (cmd-)X on boot doesn't give me OS X. Errrmmm....AppleCare Tech Tool Deluxe doesn't work: i get the language selection, but when i select English, i get a reboot, and the same screen again, but in dodgy greyscale. Selecting English still reboots, with odd greyscale.

Right. Zap PRAM. No joy. In goes Apple Hardware Test. All passes on thorough test. In goes OS X install CD. I get to after the 'Preparing Installation' screen, i then get the blue screen as if it's about to do something, then...into text mode we go and: "Installation has encountered an unexpected error (code 0), please reboot your computer" (not exact words, but exact meaning). I look at the CD, there are a couple of scratches, in blobs, quite heavy, but i dunno.

I can get a hold of another OS X install disc, I wonder if that'll work? Any ideas about what's going on?!?!

sounds like a hardware problem because all the software is messed up - try taking it to an apple reseller? i don't know much about them in the uk but im sure theres one somewhere. have you tried applecare?

Sounds to me like the startup disk you chose (in 9) has a system folder that is not initialized (blessed as Apple calls it). It doesn't sound like hardware to me, the Apple Hardware test says all clear.

Try to start up from a cd or external drive, bless the system folder in 9 (open it and close it again so that the two-faced icon shows up on it) and then you can choose your startup disk.

Back