My iMac doesn't recognize my Zip drive!

Harvey Young

Registered
I have had my Zip 100 USB drive three or four years, during which it has had "moderate" use, for quick backups of small files. Currently it's connected to my G5.

At this time I am having a problem, namely that my computer does not recognize the existence of the drive.

The unit is receiving electrical power, and the USB cord is snugly attached to both the drive and the computer.

I have taken the USB cord off of its hub connection, and have "mainlined" it to the back of the Mac. I have also disconnected all other peripherals, in hopes of minimizing possible software conflicts.

Restarting the computer is sometimes effective in getting problems to go away, but not this time.

Perhaps this is a fixable s/w problem, but can it also be that the drive is simply "worn out"? I wonder if there is some way to determine the cause of the difficulty.

It's possible that the drive has seen it's last day, but you might also want to try another USB cable just in case. Also, see whether Iomega has software available online that will allow for ZIP drive support on the Intel iMacs (I don't see why this would be a necessity, but you never know especially with the new Intel Macs).

Back