My iMac won't let me in...

rrevilo

Registered
When I turn on my computer and the password screen comes up, for some reason I'm not getting my icon and username and password fields. What I am getting is an icon saying 'Other' with a username and password field. Having not set up up 'Other' I have no idea what this is, i've tried all usual passwords etc to no avail.

I tried the installing disc and tried to reset the password but I get a message saying that I don't have permisson/priviledges to do this or there has been a failure of some sort.

So I can't get into my mac.

Is there any other way of bypassing this screen or is there a set password and username that mac use to access locked computers?

I don't want to install OS X again or put in the three Software discs as it will delete all my files.

Though I could install a new OS X and save the old one - will doing this delete my files or save them somewhere?

Any suggestions - I'm desperate.

Thanks for any help.

The Install disk also has a change reset password program in the installer menu (10.3) or the Utilities menu 10.4

Hopefully once you reset the password for the other account you can find your old one, otherwise you might have to enable root if Other doesn't have access rights. Once into any account, I would back up your user folder before you try to restore it.

First at all run Disk utility from the Installer CD, select First Aid and then Verify/Repair Permissions, after that try to reset your password, and reboot your computer from the hdd.

Lets try that before reinstall your OS.

The Other field for name and password is usually for Root.

Type Root as the name and your password and see if you can log in.

Right.

I tried the steps everyone suggested but to no avail. When trying to reset my password from the installer CD I get the message:-

'The password you entered has not been saved for the user xxxxx. You may not have permission to edit this disk or a general failure has occured'.

I ran disk utility-first aid check and a hardware check and everything seems to be fine in that department so I reckon it must be the 'not having permission' thing.

I tried all sorts of 'root' with passwords it could have been - no luck.

I clearly have a corrupted login and network problem...any thoughts on what next?

If I were to re-install OS X and do an Archive/install would that solve my logging in problem?

If so, do you suggest that I tick the 'Preserve users and Network settings' box as well as this may not help with my current problem?

Thanks for any feedback.
I'm grateful for all your ideas, keep'em coming!

rrevilo said:
Right.

I tried the steps everyone suggested but to no avail. When trying to reset my password from the installer CD I get the message:-

'The password you entered has not been saved for the user xxxxx. You may not have permission to edit this disk or a general failure has occured'.

I ran disk utility-first aid check and a hardware check and everything seems to be fine in that department so I reckon it must be the 'not having permission' thing.

I tried all sorts of 'root' with passwords it could have been - no luck.

I clearly have a corrupted login and network problem...any thoughts on what next?

If I were to re-install OS X and do an Archive/install would that solve my logging in problem?

If so, do you suggest that I tick the 'Preserve users and Network settings' box as well as this may not help with my current problem?

Thanks for any feedback.
I'm grateful for all your ideas, keep'em coming!

I think Archive/Install would not really help, as it restores your user-account to the newly installed system.

If for anykind of install, I think clean install would bring you the most promise of success for your problem. But depending on how your HDD is partitioned you could lose all your data

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but did you try typing in your regular username and password in at the "other" prompt? It sounds like the more secure login mode that doesn't show usernames (or icons).

Doug

Yup tried that doug...and about 50 different variations...no joy.

Think i'm going to have to do an archive install...if my dabbling with unix doesn't work.

Thanks for the thought though, i need all the help i can get!

HI I also had this problem when I was working In CHINA...... Luckily our office had macs for design. The only way to get my data was to buy a firewire cable (or use your iSight camera cable) and connect to another machine. Re-start the 2nd mac holding the "T" key down which sets FIREWIRE TARGET DISK MODE. Then your drive appears on the 2nd macs screen, you have total access to ALL your data. Drag what you need from your HD ICON, to the desktop of the 2nd mac. Then re-Install your original system. You can then either drag your data back to your mac, or possibly use the MIGRATION ASSISTANT in 10.4 Utilities folder to help you.....
good luck.... sorry for late response... just seen your problem.

Back