my mac is having serious problems

bjmitchell

Registered
hi a few days ago i installed a virus program on my mac computer i think it was called macaroni . but since then when i turn my computer on it loads up but not completely. the blue tooth application is stuck open and the suitcase will not open. also in the bar on the top of the screen the clock or nothing on the right side will appear and the computer freezes nothing will open?? your help would greatly be appreciated because i use my computer for college.thank you

This place is radiating knowledge... I'm here to ask questions like yourself, not give advice often, but one thing I come across often from those that are literal mac libraries of troubleshooting information is that you don't need an anti-virus program installed. If macaroni is the root of your problems, then get rid of it. Not sure why you felt the need to install it in the first place but you may be better off without it.

see the problem is i cant get my computer to unfreeze to get rid of the macaroni program . when ever i turn my computer on it loads to the desktop but then freezes . the bar that is supposed to be at the top right with the clock and wifi connection wont even show up and nothing will open?

Try starting up in "Safe Mode"
You do this by powering on and pressing and HOLDING the shift key until the system is up.
This should get you running to a point where you can do some maintenance.

BTW Macaroni is not an anti-virus application, it is a utility that Performs OS X maintenance routines.

Unless you know for sure what an application is-does, and that it is what you need, and have a good bullet-proof backup (preferably bootable) then maybe you should not be fixing what is not broken.

can you please help me through the steps of getting to safe mode when i hold the shift key it goes to a black screen. please

This is a direct quote from apple support.
If this does not work for you then I'm all out of ideas
------------
To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

Be sure the computer is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 or later, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically.

During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave Safe Mode in any version of Mac OS X, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

Back