My monitor doesn't support a certain resolution in Panther

pwharff

Registered
I finally got a chance to test out Panther and I am really excited about most of its new features. But there is one major problem that will keep me from switching! Here's the problem, I cannot switch to the resolution 1152x870 at the refresh rate of 75Hz. The only setting I can use is 60Hz which is unacceptable and extreamly hard on the eyes! I can use 1152x870 at 75Hz on Jaguar and previous OS X versions, but why not on Panther??? Anyone else having similar problems with their displays? Or does someone have a hack where I can force Panther to use a higher refresh rate?

Are you talking about a crt screen or lcd? Even 75Hz are really bad for crt. And about lcd... is there any difference between 60Hz and 75Hz? I thought the flickering just can come by a bad background lamp. And the refreshrate? Well, 60Hz should be quite enough

Not trying to flame here, but...
Dude why not wait until the GM is released, THEN decide whether or not you're going to use it? You do know it is still a beta, right? And relatively early in the development cycle, at that.

FWIW, here's the specs of one of my Panther systems:

Power Mac G4 (Mirror Drive Doors) Dual-Proc 867
Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther' build 7B53
nVidia GeForce 4 MX + Hyundai DeluxScan P210 (21") monitor running 1600x1200 @ 85Hz

Originally posted by cybergoober
Not trying to flame here, but...
Dude why not wait until the GM is released, THEN decide whether or not you're going to use it? You do know it is still a beta, right? And relatively early in the development cycle, at that.

FWIW, here's the specs of one of my Panther systems:

Power Mac G4 (Mirror Drive Doors) Dual-Proc 867
Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther' build 7B53
nVidia GeForce 4 MX + Hyundai DeluxScan P210 (21") monitor running 1600x1200 @ 85Hz

Yeah, that monitor would support that resolution (nice monitor BTW, how much was it). I'm convinced it's not going to change because it's been like this in every build since WWDC and with such an old monitor, this is just an oversight that will continue to be ignored. I would bet a 100 bucks on it!

There might be a way around it with pref-edit? Have you looked for an option that will un-hide non-recommended rates/resolutions?

No I have not tried pref-edit, I will try it when I get home. Does pref-edit work in Panther?

If you ask me: go for a new screen. 75Hz is too low! You might not notice it, but it's definitly flickering.
You should at least switch to a res you can make min 85Hz, if not 100Hz. I would rather work with a lower res than damaging my eyes...

Originally posted by pwharff
Also, does anyone know where I can submit this Apple?

I'm sorry, but isn't that a strange question to be asking? Didn't Apple tell you how to provide feedback with the materials they provided you?

And if you didn't get Panther from Apple, do you really think that contacting them to tell them that a hot copy of software you shouldn't have in the first place doesn't work to your satisfaction?

Apple doesn't make this stuff available to the public because it is not ready for the public. Complaining about something that is not finished and not ready for public consumption (in public no less, which goes against the NDA I would think) just seems odd to me.

I think apple would be more than just happy to find out about bugs before they release panther to the public no matter if from registered of not-registered ppl. And it's not like they tried to protect their beta-copies. I am sure they count on the betas being spread. No one can complain, since it's a beta and not ment for the public and ppl reporting bugs are very welcome..

Unsupported resolutions/refresh-rates have been troublesome with Macs like forever. There are utilities (shareware) that help here and give you the choice. However, you _CAN_ set your monitor to a resolution and refreshrate it DOESN'T support. Which can lead to actually killing your display.

You might wanna try http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15467 (SwitchRes)

As far as what RacerX says, I second what Zammy-Sam said. Also, fryke, thanks for the feedback! I am once again at work and will try SwitchResX when I get home. I tried PrefEdit and didn't find any settings that had to do with resolutions. I hope SwitchRes works in Panther, it sounds like a cool product!

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
And it's not like they tried to protect their beta-copies.

Just for future reference, the ease at which you do the wrong things is not a valid defense for doing the wrong things.

Maybe you've heard about the kid that lives a few miles away from me. With less effort than it took anyone who has an illegal copy of Panther to acquire their copy, he changed the code on the blaster worm. I think he is facing the possibility of 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Arent Fox has gone after people for doing less, you should be more careful and aware that there are consequences... even to the easiest of actions.

Hey, hey, hey... Please keept this thread free of the piracy issue. We're talking about Panther Prerelease builds here. I'm pretty sure there are both ADC members and non-members here in this discussion. Let's _not_ care too much about it but talk about the beautiful things Panther offers. (This will lead to more people buying Panther.) And about some issues with the betas. (This will lead to either feedback to Apple by developers and thus to a better final build or to workarounds and fixes, which will help the Panther community come Panther release time.)

Has anyone tried to run SwitchRes on Panther by now? I would, but it doesn't make much sense with my iBook's TFT.

i have a 12 in pbook running jaguar, when i try running in clamshell mode with my 19 in. CRT (Sony Multiscan G410) the best res i can do is 1600 x 1200 @ 75hz. Now my eyes dont take it too nicely at 75Hz..so im forced to revert back to 1280 x 1024 @ 85Hz (or 100Hz). Now i believe this is unaceptable, having 32mb of dedicated video ram not been able to push 85Hz. I used to have radeon 32 mb card in my old Wintel box and it did 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz. np...i dont see why the powerbook cant do it.

I'm running 1472*1104@100Hz or 1664*1248@92Hz on my Powerbook G4 and with a decent 21" tube. How? I wrote a tool:)

Consider this an advertisment. You can get the tool at
http://www.3dexpress.de/displayconfigx

Check whether it works before paying the 12 bucks. iBooks are special though, since you need to fix the mirror mode first.

hschweder

Back