My nervous mouse.

Just began using my new Mac Mini, but the mouse is making me crazy. It won't stay put when I try to place it on whatever I try to place it on. It often jumps off the page to someplace else on the screen. My prior optical mouse (used with XP and Linux) didn't do that.

Is there a control setting I can change to make it behave?

Barry

Do you have a graphics tablet? I occassionally notice my mouse suddenly shooting off for no apparent reason, only to realise that the stylus of my graphics tablet has rolled over the desk and onto the tablet.

Are you on a shiny or glassy surface? That can cause all manner of trouble with optical mice.

What type of mouse do you have?

With my "Mighty Mouse" I solved this problem by using a piece of carpet as a mousemat. I think it was confused by the mats I used before. Those were ones with screen printed images. They are made up of lots of dots. Maybe some other problem, but it hasn't happened since I went for the "real mat" mat!!

To answer the question, it's the Mac mouse (plugs into the keyboard). I like my laser Logitech mouse better, but that is currently connected to another computer (with the USB ports well out of accessibility). The Mac mouse seems overly sensitive anyway. I am forever hitting the left button with almost no pressure on it. Not usewd to it I guess. Never thought about the mouse pad, I will have to buy one, I have so many with photos on them and too smooth a surface.
Barry

And remember you can use any USB mouse with your Mac. The Mighty Mouse is pretty mediocre, in my opinion.

t

Back