My "new" mac won't recognize, load or mount CDs, can't load my software...

fetaljunk

Registered
Hi guys, new to the board, and new to OSX (I'm always behind the times, been using OS9 on my old G3).... I just got a G4 with the mirrored silver doors, from surplus where I work (for real, and it's in great shape, I lucked out). One of the guys in IT here did a fresh OS 10.3.9 install for me untill I can get my own OS, as well as the classic OS 9. So I know the CD-rom works (unless installing the OS was it's last gasp, and it stopped working between my office and my apartment). Also, the drive shows up on the system profile.

However, when I put a cd in the drive, be it blank, music, or software, I hear a little spinning, then silence, and nothing comes up on my screen, no icon on the desktop, nothing. I do have both the system and finder preferences set correctly. When I open I-tunes, it shows no cd.

Any ideas on this? Is it possible that an extenstion got missed when my IT friend loaded the OS? Or is it more likely that the cd drive just gave up?

The only thing I read in any forums that sounded like a fix was this, that I tried to no avail:

Run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
Click on “Macintosh HD” in the left column and then press the “Repair Disk Permissions” button.
Delete the file called /System/Library/Extension.kextcache
Delete the folder called /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/
Restart

Any insight or advice on this is greatly appreciated.......

Open up System Profile from /Applications/Utilities and look to see if your CD drive is listed at all in there. It could be something like the cable got knocked lose inside your computer when it was in transit to your home.

Brian

Back