My Open Directory Database Seems to Have Disappeared!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirky

Registered
Here's my issue:

Yesterday about halfway through the day, one of my users came to me with an error message that one of their files was locked and unavailable. I gave them the standard IT response, "Have you restarted yet?" Of course they hadn't, so I sent them on their way to do so. Two minutes later the same user is back saying he can't log in. Sure enough, for some reason his UN/PW were not working.

I got into Workgroup Manager to reset his password, thinking maybe somehow he reset it and didn't realize it, or whatever...

Come to find out, my entire Open Directory database seems to have disappeared. I could not authenticate to the OD using the diradmin user. It appeared that the entire user list was empty - not even an administrator account.

By this time, all hell had broken loose and not a single user on the network was able to do any kind of work, as all authentication had failed and all users were locked out of their network home folders.

I am sure that I didn't do anything that would affect the OD DB, although I was poking around in server admin looking at some of the services I have not yet had a chance to use but want to.

Now, since I do not have any good method for backing up (Finance won't approve any dang expenditures - not even to safeguard the priceless data on the server), I use SuperDuper to clone the entire HDD through firewire onto a partition of my iBook HDD. I have a clone copy of the server from the previous day.

What I'm wondering is if there is any way to restore the data that is currently on my laptop back onto the server. I fear simply copying files and folders back to the server, as I'm not sure what effect this will have on permissions, etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction here, I would most certainly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back