My opinion. Airport Express sucks

Yep, apple "support". On my recommendation, my sister recently bought a Mac Mini with Tiger, upgrading from an ageing Wintel box. Unfortunately, her USB-ADSL modem no longer worked (I know it works on Panther, as I have the same one). Calls Apple, taking over 1 hour in all, ended up with the call centre guy telling her that the modem was incompatible with OS X, that she would have to buy a router, and that basically it was her fault for being a newb (ok, not quite those words, but quite an aggressive chap).

I then get a panicked phone call on my answerphone. I call her, and it turns out that a second call to apple fixed the solution. Before knowing the details, I asked her whether she had the most recent drivers. Her response "I wish I'd called you before speaking to that first *£%£^£&^ Apple guy". Apparently, on the second call, the lady was very helpful and also suggested drivers. So I downloaded the updated drivers, sent her the CD, and she's now online.

The result: one fairly p*ssed off punter who probably would not recommend Macs to fairly non-computer-literate friends.

Back