my photon 2.5 external storage device won't mount

wonderwoman

Registered
Hey all,
I am in desparate need of help. I just purchased an external storage device (the Photon 2.5-80GB by acomdata). I can't remember exactly what I was doing at the time but all of a sudden, I had umpteen amount of icons of my external on my desktop. when i went to select them all and drag them into the trash, i got the grey screen of death (kernal crash?). Since then, I haven't been able to mount my external. Funny thing, my System profiler acknowledges it, my Disk Utility acknowledges it and so does Disk Warrior. However, the OS doesn't detect it... I get this error message.... "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that the Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore. (there are three buttons: Initialize, Ignore, and Eject)."

If it were that easy, I would initialize it, however i have hours of work i did for this web site which needs to be up and running by Oct 22, not to mention, priceless digital images of my family.

If there is someone who can help. I'm all ears....

Did you run Verify Disk from Disk Utility?

Seems an obvious thing to do but you didn't mention it. If it finds a fault then ask Disk Utility to repair.

hi simbalala,

yes, i did run verify disk, one of the reasons why i used disk utility. it found no errors and according to the report, the drive was OK and working fine.

thus my utter confusion.
however, thanks for the input...

hmmm, not so good.

All I can really suggest short of using a recovery service is Data Rescue.

http://www.prosofteng.com/

Download the trial and see if it picks up useful stuff. If it does make sure you have another disk available to copy to.

Hi there,

The following is a guide to what the problem COULD be, without having the device to diagnose you cannot take any of the following as gospel.

When the kernel crashed it is possible the file system was being updated, the crash prevented the completion of this update hence leaving incomplete data on the HDD, if a major area of the hard disk was being updated at the time it could explain your inability to access the data.

Disk Warrior is a great tool for diagnosing and repairing file system faults, however it can only deal with certain problems and is not intended for data recovery (although it often does recover lost data), it is more a system maintenance tool.

I would suggest downloading a trial version of Data Rescue X, the trial is free and you will be able to determine whether your data is recoverable before shelling out for the full software!

Hope this helps!

Back