My Pointer Freezes

olivia

Registered
hello
I've got an i book G3 800mhz OS 10.2.8
memory 640 MB

Frequently with different application the trackpad pointer freezes but the computer doens't crash as I can still save before having to shut down and restart. I don't have to force quit.
It's been doing that since a few days
A year ago I had my internal disk changed and all my operating systhem reinitialised
any ideas?
it'd be lovely
all the best from Paris

olivia said:
Frequently with different application the trackpad pointer freezes but the computer doens't crash as I can still save before having to shut down and restart. I don't have to force quit.

A couple of years ago a number of people were having a similar problem on Desktop systems in both Jaguar and especially Panther. Mouse would freeze, computer wouldn't crash. Usually, if they waited a certain interval their pointer would become unfrozen. My computer's pointer always froze for exactly 10 min.

No one actually did figure out the cause of the bug. My suspicion was that it was caused the Finder being unable to access a mounted volume, whether it was CDROM, a fileshare, external hard drive, etc. But a bought new computer before I could test the theory.

So if you have cdrom in your drive, or are attached to an external hard drive, get rid of these things and see what's happened. Other possible causes of the problems are haxies and 3rd-party menu items.

Back