my powerbook! hardrive probs

mrpowerbook345

Registered
OK! System does not boot into OS 9 CD, or from system folder on hardrive (FRESHLY installed straight from tibook software install cd) it boots into os x but when it does i cannot install the software onto the hardrive (hardrive image does not come up) when it starts booting into os 9, right before any extensions load, it gives me a error 11 saying i should hold down shift while starting comp up. (which doesn't work) when i startup with restore cd's (1-3) the install button is ghosted and i can only select two images. one which is like a .img file and another like a cd (both from restore cd) however! When i startup computer with "OPTION" it shows the hardrive's name with a mac smile face, and i can use it as an external ahrdrive by pressing t while it starts up. this all happened after i erased the hardrive with Drive Setup in os 9 I have an 800mhz 40gb 512mb ram tibook.. please help

You need to use Disk First Aid from the OS 9 CD in the Utilities folder. Once you launch it, does the drive show up? If not use the menu at the top to scan for drives and force it to find the drive. Once found, have it verify the drive, then repair all the problems.

Did you format the drive after you erased it? Did you format in HFS Extended? Once erased, you need to format it and stay away from UFS format.

i mounted it as an external hardrive, and i used disk first aid on it.. all it said was that it had two custom icons or something like that and repaired it.. how do i tell what format it is in?

Sounds to me like your drive is corrupt, but it showing up as an external drive is x is just plain wierd. Do you have any extra ram in it? If you do, pull it out and see what happens.

If you had a copy of Diskwarrior, I'd suggest trying that, but if not, probably best to take it into a repair shop. Could really be all kinds of things (logic board, flakey ram, voodoo, cat hair, buggered disk interface, hormones)

Back