My project is looking for Beta testers

SystemError51

Registered
(First of all, the initial post was confusing, so I am trying to revise this now...)

Hi guys and ladies,

In the past 15 months I have been working on my personal homepage. It's pretty much finished now. However, I want to test it to see if the code runs as expected.

I have named the whole thing OS X Mercury. It is not as easy to explain... I wanted to put on personal stuff on a personal homepage in a new way. So... I think I post the Beta test link in here, so you all can give it a go and let me know what you think or if you find any bugs =)

OS X Mercury, Beta 2
se51.net/beta/

Let me know what you think =)

I think your problem is not this board's rules (read them anyway, please), but rather violating Apple's copyrights with what you're doing. Your site is _so_ filled with Apple's graphics, that it's also quite difficult to discern where you've simply copied elements of their site and where there's actual information about what _you're_ trying to accomplish. I, for one, am not impressed.

I think your problem is not this board's rules (read them anyway, please)

I did.

... but rather violating Apple's copyrights with what you're doing. Your site is _so_ filled with Apple's graphics, that it's also quite difficult to discern where you've simply copied elements of their site and where there's actual information about what _you're_ trying to accomplish.

Please advise on where I am violating Apple's copyrights. The screenshots are from the actual website that is in Beta stage, and I believe the icons used (except for Oxygen, which is mine) are public domain - or at least, they can be used freely.

Further, the "X" logo is my own Photoshop - look closer and you will see differences. I can send you the PSD file if you like. The leopard fur in the back also is not the same - I have found this on the web and was public domain.

What I am trying to accomplish I have already said. Putting digital content of me on the web in a different way.

I, for one, am not impressed.

That's okay.

I can't believe Apple's application icons, logo and widgets are public domain. Certainly, Apple has no issue with software developers posting screenshots or things like that, but imagine if Microsoft tried to use those icons on their products! I know Apple has sued people for misuse of their logo in the past. You're also using Apple's product names for your own competing products. Obviously that's not okay.

The X and fur don't necessarily need be bit-for-bit copies to violate trademarks. That depends on the context. Trademarks are different from copyrights.

As for the actual content, I don't know what to say. What you say "covers it best" leaves me with no real idea what you're talking about! From reading that blurb, my best guess would be that it's yet another social networking/blogging site, with an emphasis on file sharing. Looking at the web site, it seems like something completely different, but I'm still not sure exactly what.

I guess it's a windowing system, written in JavaScript, that allows for arbitrary modules, in such a way that they act like desktop applications. And there's a standard set of modules to do basic tasks like searching. If so, it's a really neat idea, and I'd like to see more. But I think people will be much more likely to take you seriously if you create your own look & feel. This really is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Edit: Is there a working demo online? Again, I'd like to see more.

I can't believe Apple's application icons, logo and widgets are public domain. Certainly, Apple has no issue with software developers posting screenshots or things like that, but imagine if Microsoft tried to use those icons on their products! I know Apple has sued people for misuse of their logo in the past. You're also using Apple's product names for your own competing products. Obviously that's not okay.

In the about box all legalities are covered by stating that the sources and names are Apple's copyright and trademarks.

Other people have done similar things by trying to replicate a OS X like desktop, used the same icons, the same names. No lawsuit has happened.

The X and fur don't necessarily need be bit-for-bit copies to violate trademarks. That depends on the context. Trademarks are different from copyrights.

If it comes to these things, the way I understood it, is, that as long as it is slightly different, it does not violate copyright or trademarks. But I may be wrong.

As for the actual content, I don't know what to say. What you say "covers it best" leaves me with no real idea what you're talking about! From reading that blurb, my best guess would be that it's yet another social networking/blogging site, with an emphasis on file sharing. Looking at the web site, it seems like something completely different, but I'm still not sure exactly what.

I guess it's a windowing system, written in JavaScript, that allows for arbitrary modules, in such a way that they act like desktop applications. And there's a standard set of modules to do basic tasks like searching. If so, it's a really neat idea, and I'd like to see more. But I think people will be much more likely to take you seriously if you create your own look & feel. This really is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I am proud of what I did with it, I am not going to change any of the appearances. If they sue me, fine. But that's it with Apple for me then. I did this as an homage - not as a thing to call up a lawsuit on myself. If Steve Jobs really is as cool as I believe he is, he (and Apple) will appreciate the work and effort put in this.

Edit: Is there a working demo online? Again, I'd like to see more.

Yes, there is. This is why I am looking for testers.

Looking at the web site, it seems like something completely different, but I'm still not sure exactly what.

Same here... I'm not really getting it yet, guess I will have to spend more time on the site to take a closer look. The similarity to the Apple site is confusing me a bit. I have to disagree with you when it comes to your views on trademark/copyright infringement. Being in business for 20+ years on my own and running a consulting firm now, my understanding is you are opening the door to a lawsuit.

Being just a regular user and having no experience in site development, its somewhat difficult to appreciate the time you have spent on this project, but I do want to commend you on your effort and your willingness in sharing this venture with us here.

This is not really a personal home page thing like wordpress is it? But more for the online PC thing that is already existed?

It seems to me this is online Mac as to the online PC that are already functional and cross platform.

This is not really a personal home page thing like wordpress is it? But more for the online PC thing that is already existed?

No, nothing like it.

It seems to me this is online Mac as to the online PC that are already functional and cross platform.

This is no virtualization software, or remote accessing tool.

---------

How I do explain this? I don't know, really... it's very hard.

Basically, you click on a link, and a new window opens. In there, you will see something that appears to be a Mac OS X desktop. Menus work, icons work... The thing is, that it utilizes a windowing system to display content, and inside the applications such as iPhoto display photos I want to share on the web, where as iTunes streams music that I have made from the server - while it maintains the look and feel of the original. All of this runs on Javascript, DHTML, Ajax and Web 2.0 components.

I do not know how to describe this differently... =(

Maybe this helped a bit.

There is a 'keynote' on the web site... and that's the closest thing to a demo and I could find...

Note, the keynote can be very annoying.

But aren't we suppose to beta test something?

No, nothing like it.

This is no virtualization software, or remote accessing tool.

---------

How I do explain this? I don't know, really... it's very hard.

Basically, you click on a link, and a new window opens. In there, you will see something that appears to be a Mac OS X desktop. Menus work, icons work... The thing is, that it utilizes a windowing system to display content, and inside the applications such as iPhoto display photos I want to share on the web, where as iTunes streams music that I have made from the server - while it maintains the look and feel of the original. All of this runs on Javascript, DHTML, Ajax and Web 2.0 components.

That's exactly what an online PC is!!! No it isn't virtualisation but have some remote access element in it - it lets you save document on the online PC and you can access it anywhere in the world that has access to a web browser. An online PC runs within a web browser like Firefox... let me try find an example... I'll dig up my bookmarks...

EDIT, found it:
http://eyeos.org/about

From the web site:
A completely free (Open Source) desktop system running from your browser, where anybody can collaborate and expand it.

Sounds very similar to what you are doing, except that you are doing a Mac version.

There is a demo online.

If you want to see it, send me a PM and I give you the link.
Ok, WOW.

It is just like OS X!!!

And I would confirm it is more or less the Mac version of eyeOS... and you seem to put a lot of Mac things into it, I mean, does it *really* runs on Mach kernel?

I probably shouldn't write too much about it now since I haven't tested it that much, but it does make my fan spin, which is a major problem.

Ok, WOW.

It is just like OS X!!!

Thanks! =)

And I would confirm it is more or less the Mac version of eyeOS... and you seem to put a lot of Mac things into it, I mean, does it *really* runs on Mach kernel?

It does not run on a Mach Kernel... but I thought it might be fun to name one of the starting files like it :D

I probably shouldn't write too much about it now since I haven't tested it that much, but it does make my fan spin, which is a major problem.

On that I am trying to work... but this thing is in the moment still good enought for a preview ;)

It looks nice. :) ... But if this all is a betatest for YOUR _personal_ homepage, I think it's a tad too much work - plus the betatest doesn't make much sense then. ;) ... But I can see that very, very much work has already gone into this. Wow.

It does not run on a Mach Kernel... but I thought it might be fun to name one of the starting files like it :D
Ok so why are there 2 "loading" screen? I mean, I tried to go straight to the main desktop and start using 'Safari'. These 'artifacts' are unnecessarily mimicking Apple Mac OS X...

Seriously, try the eyeOS demo.

It looks nice. :) ... But if this all is a betatest for YOUR _personal_ homepage, I think it's a tad too much work - plus the betatest doesn't make much sense then. ;) ... But I can see that very, very much work has already gone into this. Wow.

Thanks fryke =)

It is a lot of work all right... 15 months now. But when it'll be done (which is very soon), I think I have made something. At least I am proud of it. :) It is indeed for my personal homepage - I think a test made sense to see how the thing reacts in real life as opposed to run it on my local MacBook ;)

Sunnz said:
Ok so why are there 2 "loading" screen? I mean, I tried to go straight to the main desktop and start using 'Safari'. These 'artifacts' are unnecessarily mimicking Apple Mac OS X...

Seriously, try the eyeOS demo.

One preloads a lot of graphics and stuff, the second one prepares the visitor to see the final desktop screen.

The Safari browser has been mainly built in for Time Machine - but since it displays my old websites, I thought it might be nice to complete the thing as a Safari-looking and working browser ;)

Back