My Quicksilver won't start up!

rhinosaur

Registered
Help! After a series of funky power outages last night (ice on the power lines) my Quicksilver appears to be dead :(

This morning pushing the power button on the tower only makes the light on the button pulse once. Similar to the throbbing light you get when it's asleep. I reset my surge protector and still no-go. My monitor powers up, the lamp plugged into the same outlet even works.

I have another G4 across the room and it seems to be working fine. As do all the other electronics in that room.

Any tips, hints or suggestions on how to get my Quicksilver back? Again, pushing the power button only makes the light in the button pulse once, so there's obviously some power there, but no boot :(

Any help is welcome and thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need to reset your power management, at least that's what I do on my PowerBook if it does things like that. Not sure exactly how it works on a Quicksilver as I've never done it on mine. Found a knowledgebase article for a Sawtooth G4 so it might be similar... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037
Not sure if it's something you'd want to do yourself, or even if this would help, but its an idea! Let me know how you solve this one.

I read on another Forum this same problem, it was on a G4 tower.
All he did was open the case and press some reset button on the Motherboard. I can't find the post but you should be able to find the button.

Attachments

• starting-aqua.jpg
    starting-aqua.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks guys. It was the PMU, it just needed a little coaxing. The button is in a slightly different spot on the Quicksilvers, but it is next to the battery, making it easy to find.

In all my years of messing inside of macs I've never had to do that. I'll file that one away for future use. Thanks again.

-- db

Keep an eye out for funky crashes, freezes and kernel panics from here on in. I had the same problem with my G4/1.0 QS DP and pressing the reset button worked for a while. About a month later the system died completely and I was unable to resurrect it. The local Apple Store ended up replacing the motherboard, CPUs and power supply before the problem was fixed.

Same thing happened to me on Friday(12/6/02), Called AppleCare, and they suggested the reset button. Tried three times and didnt work. Gave me a case number but felt it may have been a power surge which wouldnt be covered. Unplugged my tower and left it unplugged for an hour. Tried it one more time and am now up and running. Only thing I noticed is time reverted to 1970. Wonder if a battery may be in order, even though my G4 is only a year old..Power was off three hours.

I actually had to hit the reset button a second time. I wasn't even sure if I had pushed it the first time. But now things seem to be running fine. I wouldn't think your battery would be going dead quite yet. Did the AppleCare person have you wait for at least ten seconds before you plugged your power cord back in? Or was it 10 seconds after you plugged it in before you could start the mac? I don't remember what the knowledgebase doc said, so I just let it set there for a few minutes, and it booted up without any problems. Of course, the PMU runs your PRAM, so when you reset it, the date and other things are reset.

She had me unplug the computer, open my Quicksilver, hold the reset down for about 10 sec.
plug it back in, and try to restart. Did it three times to no avail.

If the PMU has crashed the logicboard battery will be drained with in a few days (instead of 5yrs) so the clock will reset to 1970 after being unplugged from mains power.

Back