My Review: iPhone Rocks

While video recording might not be a primary need, it seems to be easy enough to implement. The thing runs OS X and runs Quicktime, doesn't it. While it certainly won't replace your digital camcorder, neither does its picture-taking ability replace a decent digital camera. Even most 3 or 5 MP phone cameras don't, because a real cam simply has more features and a better lens. But if you're out and about _without_ your digital camcorder and something happens that you just _want_ to have a video of –*whether that be a tragic accident or the most beautiful thing in the world you've ever seen – it might just come in handy.

But I guess that's one thing they might add later. I sure hope they'll add iChat functionality. With two cameras, iChat AV would be a blast on a 3G network. In the future. In Europe, say.

Despite the quality of video recording on most mobile phones, you'd be surprised how much it's utilized in Europe (or the UK atleast (not sure about other countries)). Example; I go to the football quite a bit, player gets fouled in the box and there's a penalty. Now, I'm not going to be taking my video camera to the football, obviously, but I pretty much always have my mobile phone with me. In this case I can whip it out, record the penalty and then either just save it to watch again later, send it to friends, or upload to somewhere like Youtube for the world to see.

With the iPhone having Youtube access, it would be pretty cool if you could do this and then upload directly (hence my earlier question).

Like Fryke said, most people don't walk about with a camcorder in their pocket but almost everyone these days carries their phone.

I just bought the 4GB iPhone. Thanks to everyone for the reviews and input on the device. Can't wait till it comes!

- Eric

I just want to add, the iPhone is STILL awesome. While I am a gadget geek, I find the newness of gadgets wear off very quickly. My parents noticed this trend in me early on in my life, that anything, toy or gadget (whats the difference) I would play with for a little bit, then move on to something else. (they didn't know I had ADHD).

Anyhow... I really wanted a computer, I loved computers. Even though I had never used one, I wanted an Apple IIGS. I had used Apple IIe and c's at school. My parents, didn't want to buy it because of the expense and going by my track record of not taking much interest in things that I really wanted.

But, too their surprise, they never saw my again after getting the Apple IIGS, and the subsequent Mac IIcx 2 years later, and a Mac user ever since.

The iPhone, while time can not put it in such a perspective yet, it is really holding it's own. Because of my employment at a major wireless provider in the USA and work inside a lab environement where I was using mobile data 12-18 months before it was first released to the public, I had access to various gadgets and phones that never made it to market. I owned a Newton in my past, and Palm sytems, and even wireless Palm phones. Each provided their own delight, but the iPhone has been the first gadget I am continually in awe in, and knowing Apple, I know it will only get better.

Yes, I want TODOs on my iPhone, YES, I want some more features and Apps, but it's a new product, I must give it time. If it is this amazing NOW, imagine what it will be in 12 months.

If my wife even used a cell phone for more than 30 seconds every 3 month, I'd get one for her. Heck, if my mom wasn't on another carrier, I'd give her one. If my dad wasn't so anti-technology (or shall I say a very slow adopter) I'd get him one. If I had the money of Bill Gates, I'd buy everyone one.

It is worth a $200 disconnect fee from any provider to move over to ATT for this, unless you don't have ATT service in your area, then your SOL I guess.

:)

I just want to add, the iPhone is STILL awesome. While I am a gadget geek, I find the newness of gadgets wear off very quickly. My parents noticed this trend in me early on in my life, that anything, toy or gadget (whats the difference) I would play with for a little bit, then move on to something else. (they didn't know I had ADHD).

Anyhow... I really wanted a computer, I loved computers. Even though I had never used one, I wanted an Apple IIGS. I had used Apple IIe and c's at school. My parents, didn't want to buy it because of the expense and going by my track record of not taking much interest in things that I really wanted.

But, too their surprise, they never saw my again after getting the Apple IIGS, and the subsequent Mac IIcx 2 years later, and a Mac user ever since.

The iPhone, while time can not put it in such a perspective yet, it is really holding it's own. Because of my employment at a major wireless provider in the USA and work inside a lab environement where I was using mobile data 12-18 months before it was first released to the public, I had access to various gadgets and phones that never made it to market. I owned a Newton in my past, and Palm sytems, and even wireless Palm phones. Each provided their own delight, but the iPhone has been the first gadget I am continually in awe in, and knowing Apple, I know it will only get better.

Yes, I want TODOs on my iPhone, YES, I want some more features and Apps, but it's a new product, I must give it time. If it is this amazing NOW, imagine what it will be in 12 months.

If my wife even used a cell phone for more than 30 seconds every 3 month, I'd get one for her. Heck, if my mom wasn't on another carrier, I'd give her one. If my dad wasn't so anti-technology (or shall I say a very slow adopter) I'd get him one. If I had the money of Bill Gates, I'd buy everyone one.

It is worth a $200 disconnect fee from any provider to move over to ATT for this, unless you don't have ATT service in your area, then your SOL I guess.

:)

I am looking forward to updates, however, perhaps with the addition of iChat.

I don't have an iPhone yet but am seriously thinking about it. A question: Is it possible for Apple to add iChat capability to the current iPhones? -- or is the camera even video capable and on the screen side of the phone? If not, is there another way iChat could be added, or do we need to wait for a new iPhone model?

I don't have an iPhone yet but am seriously thinking about it. A question: Is it possible for Apple to add iChat capability to the current iPhones? -- or is the camera even video capable and on the screen side of the phone? If not, is there another way iChat could be added, or do we need to wait for a new iPhone model?

Your question was already answered on your separate thread--no need to double post (or double answer).

Back