My SQL

BigDukez

Registered
MySQl v5.1.8 on MAC 10.4.7

trying to create a new schema and get the following:

SQL error creating schema.
Error executing SQL command.

I'm connected to the server as I can see all of the other schemas that I've created in the pass. I can even manipulate them, change privileges, etc...

please help!!

I'm in the gui interface and just trying to create a new schema; not command-line;
and BTW; i appreciate all of your responses; I'm a newb and your stuff has helped me alot!

What GUI interface? The official mySQL "mySQL Workbench" application, the official "mySQL Query Browser" application, the official "mySQL Adminstrator" application (all downloadable from mysql.com), or the Apple-supplied mySQL GUI application?

Are you connecting with a username and password that has privileges to create new schemas?

Did I say that I am remotely connected? does that make a diff? I can perform these functions on the server, but I'm trying to perform from my desktop.

What IP address is defined as the "bind-address" in your "my.cnf" file (first link I posted)? If it's either "127.0.0.1" or "localhost", then you will not be able to successfully make connections to the mySQL server from another computer. You will need to modify this entry and input either your external IP address (for a public-facing server), or your local IP address (for an inward-facing server -- typically 192.168.something.something or 10.0.something.something). After this is done, stop and restart the mySQL server.

Once you've done that, then you need to modify the mySQL user in the "users" table in the mySQL database -- specifically, changing the host to "%" (which typically means "anything" or "anywhere" in SQL-speak).

The first thing will allow connections to the mySQL server from a computer other than the computer that mySQL is running on, and the second thing will allow a specific user to make a connection to the mySQL server. BOTH things are required in order to do what you want to do (connect to the mySQL server from a different computer).

trying to create a new schema and get the following:

SQL error creating schema.
Error executing SQL command.

Are you sure you used legal names on tables and columns? There is no guarantee that the GUI checks that the SQL command it generates is legal. You said you can view your old tables. Have you tried to create a new one that is almost the same as an old one, for example changing the name by adding a letter A (or something) to it?

yes; nothing has changed on the server where my schema's reside; as I said, i cna perform these functions on the server under the 192.168.100.% ip address. I just want to know why I can't do this remotely where nothing has changed about connectivity or anything.

Back