my theory on mondays g5 release

we know from pervious rumors that apple has received alot of 1.4 ghz 970 parts from ibm right? but in the leaked specs of the powermacs last night the lowest rating was 1.6 ghz.... my guess is that the new powerbook will be a 1.4 ghz 970 machine, the 1.6 and dual 1.8 powermacs will be available monday, the dual 2.0 coming soon (1ghz hypertransport agp8x motherboards :drooooool:)

that's a pretty interesting idea for the specs that were given, plus that would be one sweet powerbook 1.4ghz 15inch

Dear All Mac users,

We have all read the rumours, and we have all read the news about the new PowerPC 970 chip, aka G5. So, I am going to offer my two cents worth in a prediction:

1. Yes, Apple will release the new G5 in the specs that was mis-posted on the Apple Store the other day. I also think that Apple will also release a new pro keyboard and pro two button mouse with scroll wheel, both bluetooth. (Time to move forward) I am not sure on the new displays thou. I can remember a rumour about 3 months ago that Apple are meant to be releasing a 30" Cinema Display, so I think that this might be true. Obvisiously for the high end digital video and music market.

2. I also think that Apple will release the new 15" PowerBook with the new chip. As you can recall, Apple's main sale profit is from PowerBook's, so Jobs wants to cover this market. This in effect might spoil sales of the 17", but can you honest say that the 17" has been a success? As many of us commented, it's too big! Of course, this new PowerBook will be the bolloxs, G5 chip, 128MB VRAM, 2 x SuperDrive, up to 2GB RAM and 120 HD Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 and of course, Bluetooth and Airport. As for pricing, I think that this might be slightly more expensive than the 17". As for the speed, I think it will the lowest that is on offer due to the heat debate. But the big question will be, "Will it be 1 inch think?"

3. As we all know, Jobs will be demo-ing Panther, aka 10.3. This will be the bee's knees of the event, 64-bit etc. But I think that the release date for this will be end of September. Another 3 months!

Well, they you have it. I will either shine like a SuperNova on Monday, or a total eclipse, we have to wait and see...

wow, geezer, you basically told us everything that every other apple rumor website has been telling us for a year. insightful. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a big pessimist compared to the rest of the Mac community :D

But let's take a close look at the specifications (only commenting obvious mistakes:

First of all, the fonts were wrong and misaligned. Looks like it was faked without first looking at the real picture.

- 1.6Ghz, 1.8Ghz, or Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5 processors

That's 200 MHz above IBM's target frequencies in October 2002. Higher target frequencies and mass production ahead of schedule, that's almost too hard to believe ;)

- Up to 1Ghz processor bus

Bummer! IBM's specifications say 900 MHz. And I suppose that should be "system bus".

- Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM

Oops! Blooper! Tell me what kind of DDR SDRAM that is running on a 1 GHz system bus :D 2 GHz RAM chips? That gotta be expensive...

- Fast serial ATA hard drives

- AGP 8X Pro graphics option from NVIDIA or ATI

- Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots

- Three USB 2.0 ports

Really? Let's start bundle Dell monitors with Macs too, should we? :confused:

- One FireWire 800, two FireWire 400 ports

Seems a little strange to me, but this would be a typical Apple mistake :p

- Bluetooth & AirPort Extreme ready

- Optical and analog audio in and out

Doubt it. Except from connecting to CD players and copying copy protected CDs digitally, what purpose would the optical input/output have? There's FireWire for pros.

I guess I will have made an an idiot out of myself if this comes to be true, though :D

I'm a bit more of an optimist than you::D

They could be using a new font for the new G5(whatever) page. It doesn't have to be the same as what they used for the G4 page.

The RAM could run at a different speed than the system bus. Although that'd be highly irregular. It could be a 500MHz DDR system bus = performance of "regular" 1GHz system bus.

Originally posted by ksv
- 1.6Ghz, 1.8Ghz, or Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5 processors

That's 200 MHz above IBM's target frequencies in October 2002. Higher target frequencies and mass production ahead of schedule, that's almost too hard to believe ;)
So? IBM themselves already stated they were ahead of schedule. Now they are already taking about 2.5 Ghz chips in 2004.
- Up to 1Ghz processor bus

Bummer! IBM's specifications say 900 MHz. And I suppose that should be "system bus".
Yes, that is 900 for the 1.8 Ghz model, 1 Ghz for the 2.0 Ghz as the FSB is half the CPU frequency according to the specs.

- Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM

Oops! Blooper! Tell me what kind of DDR SDRAM that is running on a 1 GHz system bus :D 2 GHz RAM chips? That gotta be expensive...

Nope, dual pumped 500Mhz. The intel mobos are 800Mhz (quad pumped with 200 Mhz memory). See the 970 specs. :)

- Fast serial ATA hard drives

High end Alienware has that as an option.
- AGP 8X Pro graphics option from NVIDIA or ATI

- Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots
- Three USB 2.0 ports

Really? Let's start bundle Dell monitors with Macs too, should we? :confused:
Nothing surprising here except for PCI-X as an option but it is backwards compatible with PCI.

- Optical and analog audio in and out

Doubt it. Except from connecting to CD players and copying copy protected CDs digitally, what purpose would the optical input/output have? There's FireWire for pros.
Multi-channel Surround sound in and out? Does not seem far fetched to me.

I guess I will have made an an idiot out of myself if this comes to be true, though :D [/B]

It's ok. We all make mistakes sometimes. ;)

BTW. These are the real specs. Wait until Monday and you will see. :D

Originally posted by kendall
wow, geezer, you basically told us everything that every other apple rumor website has been telling us for a year. insightful. :rolleyes:

Opps... it seems that I got flamed :(

To be honest, I feel a bit of an idiot in that case.

Originally posted by aristotle Yes, that is 900 for the 1.8 Ghz model, 1 Ghz for the 2.0 Ghz as the FSB is half the CPU frequency according to the specs.
[/B]

Yep, but the core clock (system bus) is only a quarter of the CPU clock, according to an article I found on the IBM site. (It was revised the 9th of May, and it still said IBM had target frequencies between 1.2 to 1.8 GHz, btw.)
And as I mentioned, they used the term "processor bus" incorrectly in the "G5" specs picture. The processor bus would, of course, be max 2 GHz. The system bus however, would be up to 500 MHz. Look at the current specifications at http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html , the numbers mentioned are base system clock speeds. Front Side Bus would be 1 GHz as you said.

All this was much easier back when system, core and RAM clock was always running at the same frequency :D

The lowest of the leaked specs, 1.6Ghz G5 Powermacs will be available for immediate shipping (or in a weeks time), the others will be available down the road.

No powerbook upgrades.

Preview of Panther.

End of Keynote.

Do not be disappointed if you do not get even this:D :D :D

Back