My Webpage is there for me - but noone else

Does the address start with 10., 192.168., or 172.18.?

If so, those are private, non-routed ip addresses; they're reused for many closed networks. Some device upstream from you is translating those into real-world, routable addresses, which is how you're getting to the internet.

You'd need:

1) to have that device configured to translate in the other direction, so port 80 on some real-world address gets handed over to port 80 on your machine--this may already be the case;

2) to know what that real-world address is, and have people outside your local network use it to reach you.

Thanks guys,

I did have websharing on, my computer is normally behind a windowz box on our network, but @ the time I was trying the web page i was using our real static IP.... it turns out that I had not applied for HTTp (port 80) access on my Cable.. Optus said they would do it - and that is that - thanks for the help again guys

John

Thanks guys,

I did have websharing on, my computer is normally behind a windowz box on our network, but @ the time I was trying the web page i was using our real static IP.... it turns out that I had not applied for HTTp (port 80) access on my Cable.. Optus said they would do it - and that is that - thanks for the help again guys

John

Back