MySQL Help

OSX_MAN

Registered
I am so lost. I have never used Unix. I was able to get PHP working and MySQL installed. I have a couple of question.

1. I was instructed to create as new user call "mysql". I did, but I can't open any of the folders (except for the shared ones). I am the Administrator, should I be able to do this?

2. I am using myPHPAdmin and I can't create a database, I am not sure what to enter. I had it working for a mysql db on the web. But here it keeps saying the password can't be "Yes". This is not the password I have used.

If it sounds like I am lost I am, what I want to do is just create a database and tables.

Help:confused:

as administrator you have to type
sudo
and then it will ask for your password in the terminal to go inside the folders.

mysql has several folders which are read/write only to user mysql.

you may need to add /usr/local/mysql/bin to your path.

you may want to enable root

and then you wouldn't have to keep typing sudo, but as a self-proclaimed newbie...sounds dangerous to your file system.

once you get your path to recognize the mysql interactive command line binary, then you can perform some test operations with mysql.

if you have php and apache working, then you still have to add the mysql password to the phpMySQlAdmin configuration files.

if you have never seen it operating chances are there is no password. even you gave a password to the system.

There is a discussion of this issue in the mySQL docs.

once you create users with passwords in mySQL then you can enter those passwords into the phpmySQLAdmin interface.

try mysql with no password.

you should have the mysql directory set something like this

drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1214 Sep 29 17:18 bin/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 Sep 29 17:18 include/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 Sep 29 17:18 info/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 Sep 29 17:18 lib/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 58 Sep 29 17:18 libexec/
drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 296 Sep 29 17:18 mysql-test/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 264 Sep 29 17:18 share/
drwxr-xr-x 23 root wheel 738 Sep 29 17:18 sql-bench/
drwx------ 17 mysql wheel 534 Oct 6 23:17 var/

where the data files are in the var directory.

unless you have allfilesvisible set to tru you will never see this stuff in the finder anyway.

when making the users for mysql or postgres it is good to use a no priveliges user like nobody or unknown as the template.
(means use <b>command-d</b>(Duplicate) in the Netinfo manager)

you can still can give a shell and a home directory, but make sure they are having the correct ownership or you will get errors when you start those users.

there are many things which you need to study up on...
so, it makes it difficult to answer.

The easy answer is make sure mysql binaries are in your path, start the mysql binary.

the YES is the value you are throwing to the binary meaning, I assume .....the user really has no password but you are passing a password parameter.

Therefore the Value of password cannot be "yes". (because no password is defined for the user in question) Also, has that user name been configured in mySQL?

If you did these things before on a web interface, the guy who set it up did a few things in advance to make it easy for you.

Now you just have to read the manuals by your self.

everytime you don't know what something is... either ask in the forums or go to

http://www.google.com/

99% of all questions have been asked and answered on some forum or FAQ posted on the net.

The first time you launch mysql you have to use root as the user and there is no password, so then you go into MySQL and add new users and give root a password. Hope that helps

Back