MySQL installation

nemac

Registered
I am trying to install MySQL on a MacBook running 10.6. When I try to install the software I get a message stating that an older version is already running. I thought I had removed the old version an in fact I can't find any file that belongs to MySQL. When I look at "Applications" there is no mention of MySQL. I also opened a terminal session logged in as root and performed a "find" command from the root of the drive looking for anything with "mysql" on it and found nothing. Can someone give me an idea as to what is going on and more importantly how to fix it.

TIA

Javier

I performed all of the steps as they appear. I then attempted to install MySql again and I still get the same error stating that it is already installed.

Ah, that's frustrating. I was able to remove it that way, but I noticed that I still got the error that 'a newer version is already installed" when I tried to re-install. So, I conclude that there is somewhere that still has a file or setting with MySql...

In my case, I finally had to stop MySql, remove everything (per post above) and then install the MySql 5.4.3 BETA 32-bit version, even though I am running Snow Leopard (i.e. a 64-bit O/S). I had installed the 64-bit beta version of MySql, hoping that the newest MySql package would be Snow Leopard compatible. It gave me an error: "Bad CPU type in executable," so I tried going back to the 32-bit, released version of MySql (i.e. 5.1), but that's when I got the "newer version installed" error.

I know very little about all of this, so I'm just giving you the info because it worked for me. I realize that not everyone can go to a beta version, but this is my development server, so I can probably make it work.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to wait until the time that the new version of MySql comes out for Snow Leopard. Hopefully by then I will have been able to remove this version and all of it's tentacles.

Well, best of luck. So far, I have installed 3 macs with MySql/Php in the past 6 weeks, and all three caused different issues. I'm sure there's something I'm missing to achieve the "simple" MySql install! :)

Back