MySQL user + Password

MikeXpop

iEye
Well, I've set up my server and all is well. I've installed MySQL and it works perfectly, except that the user MySQL has no password. When I leave password blank in phpmyadmin or CocoaMySQL, it works. Obviously this is a major security risk, so I opened up Netinfo Manager, went to users, MySQL, and where it said password I changed it from a '*' to an actual password. Unfortunately, now it doesn't work (yes I changed the config files btw). When I change it back to an '*', it works again. Is there any to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated :)

You have to change it by terminal, not in NetInfo.

MySQL user has to be changed in MySQL server, not in Mac OS X.

Type this on terminal:

mysqladmin -u root password new_password_here

in place of new_password_here, you have to put the password you want.

Try
Code:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password (............).

But how did you install the MySQL? I have been having endless problems getting the damn show running on my mac, but that is because I keep deleting all the files without turning off the server... Oh and btw has anyone seen the .pkg distribution that makes a startupitem to launch the MySQL server after a restart? I lost mine :b

[****:~] mikexpop% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password ******
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
[****:~] mikexpop%

Hmm, I just recently (and by recently I mean 10 minutes ago) activated root, could that be my problem? Do I need to restart or something like that?

EDIT: And about the MySQL, I just installed a "complete MySQL package" or something like that. From somewhere. Heh, aren't I specific?

If u have installed the "COMPLETE MySQL", u can install also the PreferancePanes for MySQL that is in the same dmg.

Then u can change root password on System Preferences in "Other" row.

Back